Jen Lepp's Reviews > Hippie Boy: A Girl's Story

Hippie Boy by Ingrid Ricks

Jan 04, 12

bookshelves: spirituality
Read from December 10 to 11, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I liked it, but I had a few issues with the book here and there that didn't make me love it.

Ingrid Ricks has written a memoir that outlines her experiences growing up the daughter of a Mother dependent upon the Mormon Church to interpret her life, a father that comes off as an accidental con man, and the step-daughter of a man that married her mother for seemingly no other reason then to obtain a church-sanctioned slave replete with ready-made abuse victims and a religious basis for crushing the new family.

Most of the adults in this memoir had absolutely no interest in the welfare of the children, the dishonesty ran rampant through every page - the mother pretends nothing is wrong as her children are hit, the father teaches the daughter that stealing is ok as long as the bank accidentally makes a mistake in your favor, the Bishop teaches that the Church has no interest whatsoever in anything other then obedience. The books protagonist (along with her siblings) only garners some level of relief when a new Bishop arrives that actually seems to care about the misery of the family at the hands of their previously Church-sanctioned abuser, Earl - and one wonders if this family's survival really depended solely upon the luck of the Bishop draw.

To some extent, I was baffled by these "characters" - the LDS Church teaches Temple marriages are for all eternity, and yet her mother rushed in to a marriage simply to be married, and knew within days that the man she had married was a fraud and a liar and a user. Then she steps aside this man that violated the tenets from the get-go of the Church she claimed to believe in to be a wholly subservient wife, and allows the man she knows is a liar and a fraud to systematically attempt to break her children. Her few explanations for her actions in the book are a glaring omission, and leave her a mystery.

Her father's victory of beginning a multi-million dollar company eventually, finally, in the epilogue seems to give credence to how he got there - to some extent, by lying, cheating, and stealing, and refusing to support and help the family he created while buying the daughters of new women he wished to impress horses.

I found the book less uplifting then I did disturbing.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hippie Boy.