Books & Sensibility's Reviews > We Hear the Dead

We Hear the Dead by Dianne K. Salerni

Jan 05, 12

bookshelves: 2012-books-reviewed
Read from December 10 to 15, 2011

I won this book from the Dianne K. Salerni during a giveaway and I'm glad I did. If I hadn't I don't think I would ever picked this book up. For some reason I was wary of independent and small book publishers and was surprised by We Hear The Dead. It is a thoughtful and thorough novel with an interesting story to tell.

The protagonist is Maggie Fox, although she sometimes tosses the reigns to her sister Kate Fox for a chapter or two. What begins as a prank by the two young sisters to fool their niece, quickly turns into something beyond their expectation. The girls begin attract attention for their ability to communicate with spirits, too afraid to admit its all fake (or is it)and becomes a full scale religion.

The first thing to know about this book is that this is based on the true story of Maggie and Kate Fox. Salerni has done a great job of diging up a long forgotten tale and weaving it into an entertaining novel. You really begin to feel for the characters and enjoy the ride.

No matter how little or less page time a character received, they all felt fully fleshed out. Maggie is a forward thinker for her time, who is trapped in between the life should could have and the life she should have.
The novel quickly turns from a story about these sisters deciet and into a romance that could give Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy a run for their money. The romance elements offer some of the most exciting and emotional parts of the novel. It is hard to believe a relationship like this got lost in the pages of history.

The novel takes place over a number of years and by seperating each part into sections, Salerni made the novel flow without feeling rushed or awkward.

I really enjoyed We Hear The Dead and was sucked into it. Salerni signed this copy hauntingly yours, but I have to say this book wasn't too scary . I think it's a great intro to historical fiction for people who don't usually read historical fiction.

booksandsensibility.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Hear the Dead.

12/10/2011 page 283
63.0% "I like it so far !"