Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Jordi's Star

Jordi's Star by Alma Flor Ada

Dec 11, 2011

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, gr-a, from-a-p, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended for: all kids, especially those who like plants/planting & those who feel lonely
Read on December 11, 2011 — I own a copy

This is a lovely story. I appreciated how at the beginning of the book, a bit of information about St. Jordi’s feast day is given.

The illustrations are special. The goats are beyond adorable. The lush plants and scenery at the end are wonderfully shown. The art style, colors used, and picture contents fit perfectly with the story; they couldn’t be more ideal.

I love how the story reads as a simple folktale and how while not at all didactic there are some good messages here: about how nature provides, about how trying to make someone else happy is the best way to make yourself happy, about how with some work with water and seeds and cuttings, plants will grow, and the plants can bring beauty and friends, as well as nutrition, and about how you can find friends in many places. I found myself deeply touched by this story. I also loved how Jordi takes care of his goats, sleeping with a small one, making sure they have enough to eat, that they have shelter during a thunderstorm, and how it’s obvious his way of making a living, selling goats’ milk cheese, is done keeping the goats’ wellbeing an important part of the equation. Even as a vegan, I surprisingly didn’t feel at all offended (though I still wouldn’t eat the goats’ milk/cheese). This depiction of animal agriculture is the complete opposite of the factory farming that is so rampant in so many places today.

I would definitely recommend this to all kids, especially those who love stars and/or those who are fascinated with plants/planting. It’s also a terrific story for children who feel lonely or isolated.

4 ½ stars
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jordi's Star.

Lisa Vegan Oh, and just saw that this is my 1,900th review. 100 more to 2,000.

Lisa Vegan Oh, I also like how it's mentioned at the beginning of the book that Jordi is a common name in Catalonia. The only time I've known the name before is in the book Jordi/Lisa & David by Theodore Isaac Rubin. I love both those stories, especially Lisa and David, and its movie too.

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Oh, and just saw that this is my 1,900th review. 100 more to 2,000."

Congratulations, Lisa!"

Thanks. At the rate I'm going these days, it may be awhile, but I should get there.