Julia's Reviews > Lies & Omens

Lies & Omens by Lyn Benedict

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fiction, arcs, fantasy, urban
Read in April, 2012

It was such a treat to be back in the Shadow Inquiries world, and LIES AND OMENS doesn’t waste a single page before ramping up the action. Almost invisibly, Benedict intertwined gentle reminders about Sylvie’s past without slowing down the current events one bit. By the time Sylvie was clinched in what is the absolute best shower scene I’ve ever read, I knew I was going to gulp this book down in one sitting (and I was right).

Above and beyond a killer first act, the entire book is infused with Benedict's knack for appealing darkness. None of the loose ends from prior books are swept under the rug, but these difficult, heart-wrenching relationships are saved from any hint of drama by Sylvie’s clear-eyed emotional bravery. In general, I do not like angry characters, yet Sylvie’s brand of rage is transmuted into something gorgeous. Her intransigence becomes more and more important as the world convulses around her and the line between “friend” and “monster” blurs. Whether it’s something as small as mentioning the bitter taste of soap in a sex scene or the lethal consequences of a Fury’s new godhood, Benedict brings a gritty reality to her urban fantasy that I find absolutely compelling.

Despite the shotgun start, LIES AND OMENS did have a lull in the action two thirds of the way through. However, that slight pause soon swept away to a climactic finish. Benedict managed a difficult feat for a mid-series ending, offering a resolution that was satisfying for her characters while still lighting the fuse on fantastic possibilities for future books. LIES AND OMENS was #10 on my Top 12 for 2012 list, and as quickly as I’ve finished it, I’m already penciling in a spot for Shadow Inquiries #5 on this year’s new list.

Sexual Content: A sex scene (also knows as the world's best shower scene).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies & Omens.