Mary Gilligan-Nolan's Reviews > The Taken

The Taken by Inger Ash Wolfe

Dec 14, 11

Read from December 10 to 14, 2011

Picked this up in the library whilst browsing and Mo Hayder had added a comment on the cover, so I thought I'd check it out. This, I discovered is a second in series, although it was fine to read it without having read the first one. It is a story of a D.I. called Hazel Micaleff and it is set in Port Dundas in Toronto, Canada. Hazel is a little different to other police characters in that she is considerably older (62 years), you usually get an age ranging between 30 and 50, so it was refreshing to get the perspective of an older more experienced detective. She is a character in more ways than one, she's tough, witty and smart. It was a good story, Hazel is recovering from major back surgery, in her ex-husbands converted basement, with his new wife in attendance and also Hazels mother. The reason for her back injury is I suspect explained in the first book, however, that's for another reading day. She returns to work a little earlier than she expects when a rather bizarre case presents itself and she is directly drawn in when certain items are posted to her. It's a tale of cryptic messages that Hazel and her team are expected to follow and figure out and it's pretty clever and intriguing. I worried for her back back all the way through, I could feel her pain on occasions. It's witty in a dry sort of manner, but works well and keeps you hooked. I also liked that the author kept the ending open for another book with Hazel returning. She is 62 years old, so there can't be too much to pack in before she retires. Good book, interesting direction to take and worth a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taken.