Cláudia's Reviews > The Marriage Plot

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides

Jan 14, 12

bookshelves: fiction, 2012
Read from December 11, 2011 to January 14, 2012

I only give 2 stars to this book because the 2nd half wasn't as bad as the 1st, or it wouldn't have more than 1 star.
I was really looking forward to this book as I loved Middlesex, and I don't know if that helped to the big disappointment that it was. The story is boring, almost all of it totally uninteresting, and I couldn't care less about the characters, as they were irritating, totally obnoxious.
There are some brilliant sentences, some beautiful parts (I don't think JE can write bad), but most of it is dull and it seems a course in Semiotics studies (and I'm still thinking what are Semiotics studies...) and in being a college student in the 80's - even though if all students were like the ones we know about, I would never want to know any of them, moreover spending hours in class with them! The course and the students sounded pretentious and (have I said it??) obnoxious. That 1st part of the book has no real story, and I missed most of what was written there. Eugenides uses 10 pages to write about something that could have been said in one, and even with that always forgets to make the characters credible, real, and with any interest.
The 2nd part of the book (by then I was already reading it sideways...) it's better, it moves faster and it when something really starts to happen, but it's a bit too late to change the overall feeling.
This book took 9 years to write. Was it because there are so much unnecessary words in it, or because he didn't know what to write? Overwritten and not worth the waiting... I'm glad I ended it.
The only real good thing? Probably the ending. Short and bye bye.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marriage Plot.

01/02/2012 page 95
show 2 hidden updates…

syrin Depois diz se é bom, também tenho este livro na minha wishlist. :D

Cláudia Estou com bastantes expectativas, vamos ver!! :)

syrin Eu adorei os dois livros dele que li, por isso também tenho muitas expectativas. :D

Cláudia Eu só li o Middlesex :)

Mady Tb tenho curiosidade em saber o q achas do livro! Li os outros dois dele e gostei muito! :)

Florbela Também tenho este na lista para este ano :) O Middlesex é muito bom. As Virgens nunca li, mas adorei o filme :p

Cláudia Acho que vão ter de esperar bastante pelos comentários... em 3 semanas li 40 páginas e estou a ponderar pegar noutro que exija menos de mim neste momento. Veremos :)