Martin Yankov's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Dec 10, 2011

Read in December, 2011

I really liked this book. I wouldn’t say it’s the smartest or the most sophisticated book I’ve ever read, but it was exciting and it had some pretty good ideas.

The novel is a really fantastic page turner. I couldn’t put it down, I wanted to read more and more and more. Every chapter ends with a great cliffhanger, so each time I NEEDED to start the next one. There were some great plot twists – some were a little expected, others were mind-blowing.

The novel introduces some interesting ideas about the entertainment business. About the things the crowds like to see, the things they love to see and the things they absolutely need to see. Here we find an entertainer put in a difficult position, having to provide both acts of violence and acts of love in order to satisfy the viewers. I really loved the balance here, the way the main character had to fake her blood-lust and passion when they were needed and the way she had to hide her anger and pain when they were too strong. For me that was the best part of the novel. And the plot-twists, of course. We should never forget the plot-twists.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.