Melee's Reviews > Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression

Little Heathens by Mildred Armstrong Kalish

Dec 10, 11

bookshelves: memoir-bio

YES!!! I FOUND IT!

This is yet another book I read years ago and then forgot the title of. For some reason, I got a bee in my bonnet today to find it. The library website was no help, but as I thought about searchable plot points of this book, I realized that a snippet of a sentence from this book was imprinted in my brain. With slight trepidation and a few giggles, I typed the fragment into google. To my great astonishment, my remembered snippet was word perfect! Want to know what is was? Well, I shall give the censored version, but it was this:

"...f***ing himself out of a place at the table."

I wanted to laugh so hard when the correct google book result came up!

(By the way, that "lovely" sentence was in reference to a man about to add yet another child to his already abundant family. If I remember correctly, that whole chapter contained a lot of reminisces about bad language vs. little pitchers with big ears.)

Since I read this book as research for a paper, I was relieved that neither of my parents asked to read it. Ha!
I may re-read it, but I haven't decided yet. Incidentally, the only other anecdote that stuck in my memory from this book was the children breaking off pieces of the cows' salt lick to eat with tomatoes. Apparently, I only remember crude and gross things. Wonderful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Heathens.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Ha! This happens to me all the time. There'll be a song or story I'm trying to remember but I don't want to do a search because the only parts I distinctly remember are the naughty bits. =b

Melee Hehe! So relieved to know I'm not the only one whose mind inadvertently lingers in the gutters. ;)