Teresa's Reviews > Beastly

Beastly by Alex Flinn

Mar 24, 12

Read from March 23 to 24, 2012

I didn't like this book. But didn't dislike it, either. I just felt disappointed a little bit, because I felt it was overhyped and that there are better books out there that deserve to get more recognition than this. Two things I did like about this book, though, were the structure and idea behind the story...And even then, they weren't even that original. And I really like my books to be original. But I can forgive that, because it wasn't the worst book plotline in the world. In fact, it was okay and maybe a bit creative. But the thing is that I had high expectations for this book. There were so many raving reviews for it, it gained many nominations, the movie was supposed to be awesome, and Alex Pettyfer is gorgeous. :)) But I shouldn't have judged a book to be amazing just because one of the most hottest Hollywood actors in the 21st century is playing the protagonist. I could make a whole list of all the pros and cons about this book, and trust me, the cons will win by a LONG shot. For example, the romance was sappy, weird, and just damnstraight forced. No, I'm not lying about that last part. 89.99999999999999% of Kyle's feelings for Lindy were due to the curse and his desperation to love and be loved. Excuse me, but that just isn't love. In fact, it's way too far from ever being love. Love's about falling for somebody and wanting to be with them forever without any hidden agenda or deperation to get close to them or anxiety of getting them to fall in love with you. That's the whole point of it. The writer didn't make their love believable or genuine, something that was missing the whole time of the book. Second, I didn't like Kyle. Or maybe I should rephrase that. I couldn't relate well to him. And I feel that I must relate (or at the very least, sympathize ) with my main characters in order for me to enjoy the book. This wasn't the case here. Kyle was obnoxious, desperate, careless, monstrous, foolish, reckless, and just too weird. I felt a bit sorry for him, but that ended when he stalked stranger girls with his mirror, hoping that one of them was decent enough to love him. Of course, if I were in his situation, I'd be desperate and vulnerable, too. But not that desperate enough to force a girl I barely know to isolate herself from her father and her life to come live with me for, say, 1-2 years. I mean, just WTF was going on in the author's head? Crazy..... And plus, I didn't see what Kyle saw in Lindy. She was just as boring as cardboard. I didn't feel any spark or life in her. She might as well have not even been in the story, because I barely register in it throughout the book. I don't see myself two months from now remembering her as an amazing love interest.
Now, although, I didn't like some parts of this book, there were many pros. I liked the writing, the plot, the idea behind the book, Will Fratalli, Pilot, even the witch (cause at leat she had the decency to knock some sense in Kyle) and the way the author described New York. Even though I felt Kyle and Lindy's relationship was lifeless, I did like the tutoring sessions and the poems and how they got to know each other through it. I liked how Kyle sought out love and comfort through his newfound hobby of planting and creating a garden. I liked the fact that Lindsy liked to read, which is very relatable to most people and also great for love interests. I also very much adored the ending. It was amazing, if not a bit rushed. I won't spoil anything in this review, but you just gotta know that the ending was great and I loved how it was resolved and pain-free. It was great to have a happy ending for once.
So for this book, I would give it a 2.5 rating. It wasn't terrible, but had way too many flaws for me to be comfortable reading it. There were its good sides, though. I don't regret reading the book. I actually enjoyed some parts. I will definetely be watching the movie someday. I want to see if the film will be better or worse than the novel. Peace :)
3 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beastly.

Quotes Teresa Liked

Alex Flinn
“Every girl pretends she is a princess at one point, no matter how little her life is like that.”
Alex Flinn, Beastly

Alex Flinn
“Better?" I went from holding her hand to hugging her. "Lindy, you loved me when I wasn't even human.
You kissed me when I had no lips. You saw what was deep down inside me when I wasn't even sure
about it myself. Believe me, there's no way I could do better. I think you're perfect.”
Alex Flinn, Beastly