willaful's Reviews > Snowdrops and Scandalbroth

Snowdrops and Scandalbroth by Barbara Metzger

Sep 05, 12

bookshelves: virgin-hero
Read from September 01 to 05, 2012

3.5 stars. This was unexpected: a traditional Regency romance that's also a screwball crime caper and a bit of a sex farce. It's a shame it wasn't written until 1996, because it would have made a great 1930's movie, preferably directed by Ernst Lubistch.

Courtney, Lord Chase is that rarest of romance heroes -- not just a virgin, but a virgin because of principles. His unusual forbearance leads to some unfortunate misunderstandings amongst the ton, causing him to need a fake mistress, fast. Enter the poor but virtuous Kathlyn Parkland, who agrees to help him -- less for money than because she feels terribly sorry for the tragically wounded hero, who obviously needs a fake mistress because he has nothing to offer a real one. Meanwhile, various threads of a complicated plot involving a jewelry heist, Courtney's mother, Kathlyn's aunt, several bumbling thieves and two less than brilliant Bow Street Runners are also coming together.

It took me a while to really get into this story, because the caper elements were tiresome and seemed out of place. But the mildly risque humor was entertaining and the main characters quite sweet. After awhile I realized the whole thing was basically a farce and started to enjoy it more. The book is written in very broad strokes which keep it from being as genuinely romantic as I'd like, but it's certainly fun.
3 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snowdrops and Scandalbroth.

09/05/2012 page 105
65.63% "Finding this a bit of a slog -- the romance is nice, but the caper plot is boring me."

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

When I was finding quotes for a blog post I remembered how much I loved the opening of this book. Too bad it just got goofy in the end. But definitely worth reading!

willaful I think it was your post that made me interested...?

message 3: by seton (last edited Dec 10, 2011 12:20PM) (new) - added it

seton Oh, I think I read that blog this morn. Good post :-)

This bk has been on my maybe list for ever. On 1 hand, virgin hero = good but I find Metzger a bit on the dull side. I think there is a scan of this somewhere on scribd. Could have sworn I saw it once.