Sandra's Reviews > Bloodraven

Bloodraven by P.L. Nunn

Dec 20, 11

bookshelves: high-fantasy, m-m, bdsm, erotic-romance, slave-boy, dark, nook-lent
Read from December 15 to 19, 2011

3.5 stars I was back and forth a lot with regard to how I felt about this, but in the end I did genuinely care about the characters and I had a hard time putting it down. Be forewarned, it is VERY long, 1500 pages on my Nook. It almost could have been a trilogy, but I am really glad it wasn't because there would have been major cliffhangers. The entire book is pretty dark and gritty, but the first 500 pages the most so because our Hero, Yhalen, has no allies. This part was pretty rough, especially since I knew Bloodraven was going to be the love interest and I wanted SO badly to like him, but despite being the best available option to Yhalen, he was still a raping, pillaging, ogre (half-ogre).

That being said, I felt both main characters had very realistic growth throughout the book. And I was SO glad we got to read from Bloodraven's POV every once in a while, because that obviously makes a huge difference in your opinion of him. The fact of the matter is, despite trying to break away from that same oppression, he was still raised to think of humans as weaker and therefor only good for servants or slaves, and that's not easy conditioning to break. I think Nunn put them into situations and created relationships in a way that made Bloodraven's transformation more plausible as opposed to forced (which it easily could have been).

I loved that in the end, Bloodraven is still part Ogre and they don't try to make him act or appear human. And although there is a happy ending, it's not so perfectly happy and wrapped up in a way that diminishes all the struggles they've went through, and the ones to come. This world itself is still in turmoil, and the slightly open ended way things were left was appropriate. Also, if things had been 'perfect' than it wouldn't have seemed like Yhalen was his own man, and I think given the way he is treated throughout the book (by everyone, including Bloodraven) that is an important distinction.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodraven.

12/15/2011 page 1
0.0% "I couldn't resist, never read a book with an Ogre as the main love interest."