Liviu's Reviews > Chaos Space

Chaos Space by Marianne de Pierres

Jul 23, 2014

bookshelves: genre-sf, 2008_release_read, read_2009, read_2012, t_notable_books_2008
Read in November, 2012

Middle book in the Sentients of Orion trilogy, Chaos Space suffers a little bit from the "middle book" syndrome being a way station after the setup in Dark Spaces to the grand finale in book 3, and the ending reflects that the most, being just an arbitrary stop point after its 5 threads finally converge, to split back again.

Full of sense of wonder and much more balanced than Dark Space which concentrated too much on the backwater of Araldis at the expense of the "big picture", though still a bit hard to get into with the far future jargon and all, Chaos Space is a worthy addition to the wide-screen modern space opera canon and I enjoyed it a lot with the caveat above that nothing is solved and the ending is arbitrary, based more on page count than on story logic.

Volume 3 should be a real cracker.

Note - reread in December 09 after original read in 08 confirmed my opinion above; great space opera

Note - second reread in November 2012 as the series is ready to be released in the US and I want to finally read the last volume (somehow it slipped through the cracks though I bought it on publication and then I tried once or twice to start it and I realized I need to reread volumes 2 and 3 as I remembered only the outline of what came before)

Very entertaining and making one turn pages even in the 3rd read; this series is excellent at least from volume 2 on - I actually liked volume 1 too, but it is more planet bound with fewer characters and I see why people may like it less - and hopefully the US release will give it a higher profile

Here is the original FBC rv

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chaos Space.