Kayleigh {K-Books}'s Reviews > Unchained

Oct 01, 13

bookshelves: entangled, jla
Read from September 11 to 18, 2013

Unchained Review on K-Books

First of all let me just say how insanely excited I am that I have finally read this book. I heard about this book back in 2011 when I first discovered the genius that is Jennifer L Armentrout. I had just devoured a review copy of Obsidian, the first book in her YA Lux Series followed by Half-Blood, the first book in her YA Covenant series, and I could not wait to get my hands on more... including this adult Urban Fantasy book. Two YEARS later and I have finally read it and I couldn't be more happy.

Lily is a nephilim, the offspring of a fallen angel and a human and she will do anything to stop the evil that goes on in the world, caused by the fallen angels. But not everything goes to plan. Enter Julian, the fallen angel who is infatuated with Lily... and the one person she can't seem to resist. She is attracted to the one thing that she is supposed to hate. But there are more things going wrong than Lily could imagine. Someone is feeding secrets to the Fallen and Lily is number one suspect. Can she pursue her forbidden relationship and clear her name?

Unchained is a really good start to a promising series. Truth be told, it isn't my favourite JLA book. No where close but it is enjoyable. Unchained was the second book that JLA ever wrote and you can tell. Jen's writing style is as addictive as ever but where as through her Lux series and Covenant series you can see how much she has grown as a writer in the past few years and so, to me, it was obvious that this was one of her earlier books. This by no means hinders the book whatsoever. I was still completely in awe of Jen's superstar writing skills.

Lily is possibly one of my favourite female protagonists of all. She is snarky and kick-ass and does whatever the hell she wants, be damned of the consequences. Who wouldn't love a heroine like that? She was everything I wanted in a Urban Fantasy heroine. I just loved her!

Unchained was a great start to an Urban Fantasy series but I feel like it just lacked the sparkle and magic that I have come to expect in JLA books. I wasn't completely hooked right from the start like I usually am and it took me quite a few chapters to really get into the story. This may have been because of it being an earlier work or it may have been because I don't read a whole lot of Adult Urban Fantasy. I'm definitely more of a YA fan. Once I got 'into' the story I found it unputdownable and by the end I was in love with the story. I can't wait to get my hands on the next installment in this series.

If you are a fan of Adult Urban Fantasy series then I urge you to pick this one up. It's a great unique storyline and it's full of fantastic characters that will take you on an awesome fantasy-filled adventure. Although it didn't blow me away like other JLA books I still enjoyed it and it will definitely be placed on my 're-read' shelf in my kindle ready for the other installments coming.

"I see you as Lily. I see you for who you are, even though you don't."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unchained.

09/11/2013 marked as: currently-reading
09/18/2013 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Isabella (new) - added it

Isabella OMG! The cover is AWESOME!

Kayleigh {K-Books} I know. I just pre-ordered. I am sooooo excited. Jen is my favourite author of all time.
I'm practically bouncing right now

message 3: by Isabella (new) - added it

Isabella OCD Kay {K-Books} wrote: "I know. I just pre-ordered. I am sooooo excited. Jen is my favourite author of all time.
I'm practically bouncing right now"

Waaah!! I need to pre-order it too!! Can't wait for this! Just being Jennifer's it will be addicting

Kayleigh {K-Books} It's super cheap on The Book Depository right now. I don't know what country you are in but I'm in UK and it was like £3.74, i think that's like $5 or something.

Exactly. You know it's incredible just because it's by Jennifer.

message 5: by Isabella (new) - added it

Isabella OCD Kay {K-Books} wrote: "It's super cheap on The Book Depository right now. I don't know what country you are in but I'm in UK and it was like £3.74, i think that's like $5 or something.

Exactly. You know it's incredible..."

I'm in Italy and here is cheap too! Just 4 and something euros!!! *_* thanks, now I'm pre-ordering it!! :D

Kayleigh {K-Books} =D
No problem. I'm so excited lol

message 7: by Aletta (new) - added it

Aletta I was so trolled.. Saw 23 sept and I was like: 'Yeaaah, it's out! Where can I find it'
And then I didn't see any real reviews and I miserably scrolled up.. 2013 -.-
So yeah, waiting again ;)

Kayleigh {K-Books} Yeah I know it's been put back because of Opal and Obsession

Jeanny You read it yet? Like it?

Kayleigh {K-Books} I have read it and yeah it was good.

message 11: by Khadija (new) - added it

Khadija Shafiq Is this book young adult?

Kayleigh {K-Books} No it is Adult