Seth's Reviews > Il campo del vasaio

Il campo del vasaio by Andrea Camilleri

Dec 10, 2011

bookshelves: police-procedural, italian-literature
Read from December 10 to 18, 2011

The theme of the Potter’s Field is betrayal. The reference to the potter’s field stems from the Gospels according to Matthew. When Judas returns to the priests the 30 pieces of silver he was paid for betraying Christ, they use them to purchase a potter’s field, a burial ground for the indigent. When the Mafia deliberately slices the body of a traitor into 30 pieces, it is sending a warning message to others. In this context, Andrea Camilleri understands to mention Umberto Eco’s theory of semiotics.

Camilleri does not consider his detective series featuring Inspector Salvo Montalbano great literature, but he places the adventures in a broader cultural context. Thus, in the Potter’s Field the author makes literary, artistic, and scholarly references not only to the Gospels and Eco, but also to Freudian dream interpretation, the painting “The Blind Leading the Blind” by Pieter Bruegel the Elder, Dostoevsky’s novels, a quote by Bertolt Brecht, Homer’s Odyssey, Shakespeare’s “method in my madness,” and Machiavelli’s “the ends justify the means.” He even playfully alludes to one of his own works. My dear erudite fellow-readers, is this an example of meta-fiction?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Il campo del vasaio.

02/11/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Marieke (new)

Marieke i will have to ask my friend Alasse if this is meta-fiction because that term totally confuses me and i consider myself totally ignorant... :D