Shellie (Layers of Thought)'s Reviews > All There Is: Love Stories from StoryCorps

All There Is by Dave Isay

1987170
Feb 08, 2012

bookshelves: year-2012-releases, blog-reviews, genre-non-fiction, genre-memoir-bio-autobio, read-in-2012
Recommended to Shellie (Layers of Thought) by: TLC Book Tours
Recommended for: auto/biography lovers
Read from January 15 to February 04, 2012

Original review posted on Layers of Thought. I give this book a 4.5 stars.

Do you want to read about real love? This is it, a special and endearing non fiction book which contains snippets of “real” lover’s conversations. A slim little book, it transcends gender, religion, and more… It will make you smile, giggle and shed bittersweet tears.

All There Is is a heart warming and heart breaking true story collection, containing transcriptions of many short conversations about couples’ love for each other – each typically two-three pages long. The conversations are with one another, or with friends or family members. Each person shares how they met, and perhaps lost, the most significant romantic partners of their lives.

For over a decade David Isay and Storycorps have made it a point to record stories for archival and historical purposes. He has two previous books and all are from audio format transcribed into books. Here is a bit about their mission quoted from All There Is:

Storycorps’ mission is to provide Americans of all backgrounds and beliefs with the opportunity to record, share, and preserve the stories of our lives. With a relentless focus on recording the stories of people who are often excluded from the historical record, Storycorps captures lives that would otherwise be lost to history and reminds the nation that every story matters and every voice counts. (pp. 155)

I just love stuff like this, and as it’s partially funded by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting which gives the book its particular flavor - one which is wonderful and grounding. I read stories about partners with Alzheimer's, AIDs, a variety of religious backgrounds, mixed races, and same genders. Each of the stories attest to the ideal that love transcends so much.

It is a book to pick up when one has just a few moments since each story will only take minutes to read. I recommend it for anyone needing a boost in remembering that true love does exist. It’s sweet, sometimes silly, and often heartbreaking. I adored this book even though I am not a big romance fan. It’s a 4.5 star in my opinion with its profusion of little colored hearts on the cover. Guaranteed to make even the most cynical reader cry. It did me.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All There Is.

01/26/2012 page 50