Tiffany's Reviews > The Year of Living Biblically

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

Mar 01, 11

bookshelves: goodreadsrecommendations, religions
Read from February 12 to March 01, 2011

I read The Know-It-All a few years ago and thought it was cutish, but tiresome at times. It seemed to drag on if I read it for too long, or too often, so I decided that for The Year of Living Biblically, I would go for the audio book version, hoping to keep the text more lively than it droning on in my head.

Yes, the audio version won. The book is definitely humorous at times, but Jonathan Todd Ross's reading kept it lively in between the humorous bits. He has a lovely voice, and sounded excited, which kept up my interest level.

However, I did discover one thing: with the audio version, you miss the interesting parts of the physical book, like the pictures of the progress of Jacobs' beard, and the notes at the end of the book. For those, look at the book's preview on Amazon :)

-------------------

A few things I liked about the discussions Jacobs has with others: Pastor Elton Richards' 4 types of prayers; Rabbi Steven Greenberg's view that God is "constantly revising his masterpiece" and is on a learning curve; and Greenberg's assertion that you should "never blame a text from the Bible for your behavior; it's irresponsible. ... It's as if one says, 'I have no role in evaluating this,'" and that you "have to grapple with the Bible."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Living Biblically.