Sfdreams's Reviews > The Giver

bookshelves: reviewed
Recommended to Sfdreams by: Lisa Vegan
Recommended for: everyone
Read in April, 2008

I'd been meaning to read this book for quite awhile, but was nudged by my friend Lisa to read it now. I really enjoyed it.

Although it is a children's book, it can be read and enjoyed by everyone.

It takes place in an unspecified time in the future, where there is no wars, no pain, no fear, no lying, no bad weather. Everything seems "perfect". But there is also no choices: everything is determined for you. Most people live happy, fulfilled lives. In their twelfth year, children are assigned their life vocation.

This book reaffirms my appreciation for diversity, and how things that are not pleasant (like bad weather) make one appreciate the good all that much more.

A very thought-provoking read. Great for older children (maybe as young as 8 or 9, depending on the child) through adults.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.

Lisa Vegan Terrri,

Glad you liked it.

In order for the name to be clickable, when you put in the recommended by name, you need to let GR finish it out for you. Not clickable as is. Love the links!!!! You can redo. ;-)

Sfdreams Well...GR did not even offer to finish it for me...would have let it if so. (I am very lazy and LOVE autocomplete function usually.) Did I type your name wrong??

Lisa Vegan They do let you auto complete. Type slowwwllyy and give them a chance. Then you sort of have to let them. Sometimes it takes me 2 tries.

rivka You left out Lisa's space. ;)

The autocomplete pops up as a yellow box just below the line, and it takes it a few seconds. I usually type two or three letters and let it show me options.

Lisa Vegan Thanks Rivka. Now I remember: to click in that space with the name/member that I want.