Carmen 's Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Jan 20, 13

bookshelves: all-time-favourite-books, pnr, best-of-my-favs, goodreads-reviews
Recommended for: Paranormal Romance lovers
Read on January 23, 2012

Update: after reading Vampire Academy, I get why people aren't thrilled with this book, but IMO, they're different from each other and have different flaws, and character feel is definitely different. I'm not going to bash Half-Blood for it's similarities to Vampire Academy, because to be honest, both made me smile and cry, and I see no reason to diss a book I enjoyed reading.

That was.... HOT..
*takes a fan and waves it in front of face.*
It's a little warm in here don't you think?

Merged review:

AWEEESOMEEEEE!!!!

Merged review:

5. Freaking. Gold. Stars.

I LOVED Half-Blood. I just ate it up like it was chocolate. YUM doesn't even begin to describe it.

Let's start with the plot BEFORE I do the huge spoliery thingy I'm going to say. :) Oh yeah, that's me alright. Spoliers FTW. XD

This was an very interesting twist on half-blood and pure ideas. True, anybody who's read Percy Jackson can say: "Well, duh. Obviously, half-bloods are the ones who live the dangerous lives." But I liked how Jennifer L. Armentrout changed it to: half-bloods, pures, and gods. Oh yeah, we're talking about three diffrent types here, people. Half-bloods are the offspring of PURES instead of gods. In fact, gods have even more power than the pures.

So of course, half-bloods have to do the dirty work of hunting down daimons. I mean, pures can too, but it's usually half-bloods.

In this book, Alex, the main protagonist, she has just been hunted down by daimons, had her pure-blooded mom killed, and bumped into the incredibly hot Aiden. (More on that later, it's SPOILERY.)Then she's taken to the covenant, where some of the pures and half-bloods train there. Her uncle threaten to expell her... but let's just say she got lucky. (I'm not releasing HOW she got out of that one, it's SPOILERY.)

She's stuck training at the Covenant, when all of the sudden, her uncle shows up. With the Apolloyon, Seth. (ALSO SERIOUSLY SPOLIERY BUT WHO CARES. YOU KINDA NEED TO KNOW THIS.) Also, another thing: news of her mother, who she left behind without even a proper burial, because daimons were trying to kill her. SO the news? Well, duh, I'm not going to tell you. It's SPOILERY. But also, things change, and well, there are somethings Alex haven't discover about herself yet, that will truly change everything- her life, love, and the Covenant.

OK, let's kinda end that part there for now.... because I WILL SPOIL the rest if I don't move on.

The writing: I must admit, the voice in Jennifer L. Armentrought is incredibly strong. There's amusement, and the sense of character is strong. But some of the scenes and the things Alex get herself in? I just started clutching my stomach becaused it hurt sooooo much from laughter. And let me tell you, I think I let out a squeal or a scream more than once. (True rarity, trust me. I usually don't make much noise.)

The characters is kind of the spoilery part. Plus, it you're going to read this book, I think it will be better if you knew nothing about the characters, because you find that you get to know the characters better in every sense, and it makes for a much more enjoyable read. Plus what I want to say is SPOILERY.

All right, am I killing you with the 'SPOILERY' thing yet?

Well, here you go. The giant spoiler. I really don't recommend you click it unless you've read the book. I don't mind you reading it, but I'd LIKE you to read the damn spoiler AFTER reading the book. :) Plus, it would make MUCH MORE SENSE.

(view spoiler)

Overall, Half-Blood was one of THE VERY BESTEST BOOKS I EVER FREAKING READ, so if you don't read it, it's your loss. I'm very much looking forward to reading Pure!

P.S. Don't EVER compare Half-Blood to VA in my face. Trust me, that is not going to go down well, It could result in a heck lot of screaming.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

Quotes Carmen Liked

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I was gonna be super pissed in the afterlife if I died a virgin in this crap hole.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Then I should be relieved to know what I was told an hour ago is false. It wasn't you who yanked a girl--by her hair--out of chair in the common lounge area.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You better have had a baby, killed someone, or slept with a pure. Those are your three options. Anything less is unsuitable.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“So? What are you going to do about it? Throw your mashed potatoes at me? I'm consumed by terror.”
tags: seth

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“It’s just words and words mean nothing. Only action does.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I don't want to know about love.'

'But you should, my child. You need to know about love. The things people will do for love. All truths come down to love, do they not? One way or another, they do. See, there is a difference between love and need. Sometimes, what you feel is immediate and without rhyme or reason.' She sat up a little straighter. 'Two people see each across a room or their skin brushes. Their souls recognize the person as their own. It doesn’t need time to figure it. The soul always knows... whether it’s right or wrong.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Are you lost, Lea? This isn't where they're handing out the free pregnancy tests.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Did you think he was just some lazy pure-blood who needed protection?” His voice dripped sarcasm.
“Well he looks like one! How was I supposed to know he was secretly Rambo in Dockers?”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Okay. I’m ready to move onto something else, like practicing with knives or defense against the dark arts. Cool things.”
“Did you just quote Harry Potter?”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Seth glanced back over his shoulder at the door. “Alex, you’re starting to worry me. Insult me… or something.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“What can I say? I cleaned up nicely”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“There’s nothing like a bunch of catty teenagers who could either kick your ass halfway across the country or set you on fire with a mere thought. That alone changed who people picked fights with or became friends with. And at the end of the day, it was always good to have a firestarter in your back pocket.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“No. I do believe in them. I just think they’re absentee landlords. Right now, they’re probably hanging out somewhere in Las Vegas, screwing showgirls and cheating at poker.”
tags: alex

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Two people see each other across a room or their skin brushes. Their souls recognize the person as their own. It doesn’t need time to figure it. The soul always knows… whether it’s right or wrong.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Need covers itself with love, but need… need is never love. Always beware of the one who needs you. There is always a want behind a need, you see.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“People do the damndest things when they’re in love.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“It was just a hug, but gods, it meant so much. It meant everything.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Everything could come to a crashing end for us if we were caught, but it didn’t matter. Right now, being with him seemed worth whatever consequence could come from it. This was right, like it was meant to be. There was no logical explanation for it.”

Summer LOL. I luv reading your reviews Carmen, your funny. ^_^

Carmen That's really just a result of me getting wayy too over emotional about books. :D