Maren's Reviews > The Dark is Rising

The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper

F 50x66
Jan 04, 12

Read from December 27, 2011 to January 04, 2012

I confess I haven't finished the book yet. It is just draggggggging. And I don't think I have ever said this but the movie was better than the book. The movie wasn't great, but it had some pretty exciting visual effects. I thought the movie was a little strange how there were all these unrelated details about magic and the Light and the Dark and Old Ones and Signs and Things of Power (do you see how Important things Seem when you Capitalize the First Letter?) and I assumed the book would do a better job of tying them together and giving them a purpose. I assumed incorrectly. Mostly what happens is he is sensing things that you can't see or hear you just know it is there, then acting on hunches and doing things with his mind because of some kind of magic he happens to have. He doesn't even understand it, but just knows he has to go to the door, and hold out his hand toward his brother, and speak some words in a different language that he didn't know he knew, and that will defeat the Darkness. But hey it works so what do I know. I just doesn't make an interesting story. Even so, I will probably finish the book just because I have to finish books, so perhaps there is a chance there is Something of Redeeming Value at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark is Rising.