Ashley's Reviews > The Mysterious Benedict Society

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

Dec 09, 11

1. Science Fiction
2. We first meet little orphan Reynie Muldoon, who responds to a newspaper ad searching for “gifted children looking for special opportunities.” Strange and vague, but Reynie and three other children complete an array of odd, challenging tasks. Together they make up the Mysterious Benedict Society, and their job is nothing too small-to defeat a villain with plans to use brainwashing to take over the world! Not as straightforward as it seems, readers can enjoy helping the characters as they piece together the clues to be successful in their mission.
3. Critique:
a. The area I would like to comment on is the way the author includes the reader within the story.
b. As the story unfolds, the children find that there is a secret Institute of the Very Enlightened where the villain is using the power of propaganda against the people in his attempt to have ultimate control. Readers get an opportunity to help the Society out as new clues piece the devious scheme together throughout the book.
c. The puzzles and mental challenges faced by the characters are also made to be attempted by the readers to figure out, which makes this a fun classroom book.
4. As a class, the teacher can read a chapter or two each day. The puzzles are logic games that are meant to be challenging but feasible, and readers feel very important as they assist in the success of the Society! I have to admit, I also felt like I could take credit for helping the four out during their adventure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysterious Benedict Society.