Ms. Patterson's Reviews > Bad Island

Bad Island by Doug TenNapel

Apr 18, 12

Read on April 18, 2012

Reese is angry with his parents for forcing him to join the family for a boating trip. While at sea, the family encounters a storm and are shipwrecked on a deserted island. As they explore the island, Reese and his little sister soon realize that there's more to the island than meets the eye. Strange creatures, mysterious symbols, odd sounds. What does it all mean? The family soon unlocks the secret of Bad Island and it'll take some quick thinking and courageous actions to survive.

I found this graphic novel fascinating. My first thought in reading this book was the movie, "Iron Giant". If you've seen that, then you'll already suspect a part of the plot that I didn't describe here. The art work is fabulous -- dark mostly, with the flashes of color to emphasize the action. Yes, this is a SF/Adventure story, but it's also a story about family. While Reese believes his parents don't understand him and can't possibly know what he's going through, the reader discovers that the father recognized Reese's feelings and is trying to show his love and concern with this trip. I think Bad Island will appeal to many different readers...male or female, Sci Fi or Adventure fan, reluctant reader or voracious reader... it won't matter. They all will find something to like in Bad Island. B+ rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Island.