Katelyn Lucas's Reviews > A Christmas Carol, The Chimes and The Cricket on the Hearth

A Christmas Carol, The Chimes and The Cricket on the Hearth by Charles Dickens

Dec 09, 2011

liked it
Read from December 22, 2011 to January 11, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

This book has three stories in it: A Christmas Carol, The Chimes, and The Cricket on the Hearth.

I really enjoyed A Christmas Carol. Charles Dickens was able to deliver a good story filled with some great moral lessons and characters readers can relate to in under 100 pages. I especially loved the ending after Scrooge made it back to the present because his good humor and excitement were infectious for me. Its great when a book can do that for its readers. I also liked all the undertones in this story and found myself underlining some good quotes. A good read for Christmas time.

I have to admit that for me, The Chimes were hard to get through. It took me way too long to get through it but I was determined. Though I do love Dickens' writing style, even in this short story, and while the characters are lovable and draw on your emotions, this is not my favorite by him.

I loved The Cricket on the Hearth. It presented various types of love that existed between different characters that were all so strong it nearly broke my heart. The ending was very similar to A Christmas Carol but not to its detriment. This story made me happy, sad, intrigued and joyful. Definitely one for multiple readings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Christmas Carol, The Chimes and The Cricket on the Hearth.

12/22/2011 page 9
show 4 hidden updates…

Clio hey, I'm also a member of Coffee&Books and I'm just finishing the cricket on the hearth (I'v read the same collection of christmas stories as you are) and just wishing you a good time reading. I particularly liked the last story!

Katelyn Lucas Thank you! That's actually really good to hear because I was considering only reading The Christmas Carol.