Rebecca's Reviews > The Five People You Meet in Heaven

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

Dec 09, 11

bookshelves: adult-fiction, light-reading
Read in December, 2011

I promise. I DO have a heart.

But if there's anything worse than a Mitch Albom book, it's a Mitch Albom book set to music.

I didn't care for Tuesdays with Morrie-I found it sappy, melodramatic and emotionally molesting. During a lapse in judgement I decided to give Mr. Albom another shot by listening to The Five People You Meet in Heaven on CD while I was out and about running Christmas errands. I knew I was in trouble as soon as the countdown to the end of Eddie's life began. Each five minute increment was pronounced with a drumbeat and surge in the music: "Eddie's last half-hour" Buh dum. "Eddie's last fifteen minutes" Buh dum. "Eddie will be dead in thirty seconds" Buh dum.

When I wasn't rolling my eyes, I was laughing with contempt at the contrived relationships and the forced dialogue.

I know that Mr. Albom is trying to create a nice, feel-good way to encourage his audience to seize the day, to look for connections with the people in our lives, both close and distant. I appreciate his intentions, I really do. But his characters left me uninspired and his version of Heaven left me praying for a better reception for the time when I go towards the light.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carley Stevens You didn't care for Tuesday's with Morrie?
A book regarding the important life lessons of a dying man who had the desire to share his compassion, wisdom and advice to love your family, to communicate with others, to have hope? to appreciate the little things in life?
I hope you realise Tuesday's with Morrie is not a fiction novel? Morrie was eager to give his advice when he lost his ability to speak and swallow, days before he died.
Sorry, where is that heart of yours?

Also, I might stop praying for a better reception because with the ability to write such a malicious review like yours, i wouldn't be expecting any lights.

Rebecca Ouch.

Elizabeth Oh, Rebecca, regarding the message you received above, I don't quite know what to say.

Rebecca (haha. Thank you!) I have to say, it's ok, I've received meaner. She felt passionate about the book. I just hope God doesn't hold my literary tastes against me. The Very Hungry Caterpillar review alone could keep me out of Heaven.

Elizabeth Guess I better read through my reviews to determine how much I need to repent :)