Sara Hannon's Reviews > The Iron Giant

Dec 09, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction

Contains Spoilers

1. Science Fiction

2. The Iron Giant tells the story of a giant made of iron, who after making peace with local farmers, manages to save the world from a giant space dragon.

3. I actually loved this book up until the end. The beginning is great, where the kid feels guilty about what they do to the Iron Giant, and then when the space dragon arrives, the panic and response of Earth is realistic and interesting. Then it takes a turn that I thought was a cop-out. There is this great battle of strength and wits between the Iron Giant and the space dragon, which the Iron Giant barely wins. Then instead of the dragon being banished back into space and the Earth is saved, Hughes decides to make the dragon a "star spirit" and has him fly around the planet every night singing the song that makes space peaceful. It eventually makes the Earth peaceful. That is nice and everything, but the dragon's explanation for his act of evil in landing on Earth and demanding to be fed living things is absolutely illogical. He says it is because he just felt like it, he heard all the violence on Earth and decided he would land and join in by eating everyone on the planet. To me that makes no sense. It seems to me that there was this wonderfully creative story and then we had to figure out some way to make the ending world peace.

4. This is a nice little story. Despite my hatred of the ending, it is a great "David and Goliath" story that shows that just because someone is bigger than you or looks scarier than you, that does not mean they are necessary mean or evil.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Giant.