Dan Cowden's Reviews > The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire: From the First Century A.D. to the Third

The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire by Edward N. Luttwak

M_50x66
Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: history, thought-provoking
Read in March, 2005

In this book, Luttwack proposes that the Roman Empire went through three distinct phases in the way it used military power, and argues that these phases were a considered and reasoned position of the Caesars.

Some people agree, some people disagree. I tend to think it doesn't matter whether someone sat down and reasoned it out at the time, the facts of how the Legions were used and how Rome conducted diplomacy. Whether this happened as a rational decision by a central authority in Rome or not is really beside to the point to me. Instead, we're shown three different manners of viewing the outside world in the time of the Roman Empire, how troops and political/diplomatic policy were handled as a result, and the consequences of how things were arranged. It's a fascinating study on different ways to handle what was roughly the same problem. Almost a geopolitical view of ancient Rome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire.