Katelyn's Reviews > The Borrowers

The Borrowers by Mary Norton

Dec 09, 2011

Read in November, 2011

1. Fantasy

2. The Clock family are borrowers, a rare and tiny people, that live at the bottom of a grandfather clock. They must borrow things from average size humans, which makes things difficult for them. The struggles they face are large and life threatening, but they are determined to persevere.

3. A- This is an accurate example of a fantasy, but the real life setting makes it relatable for readers.

B- I love this story because of the details and thought provoking setting. It forces readers to use their imagination. To me, that is both strong and positive. The storyline is appropriate, sometimes scary, but readers will find it exciting. The imagery that this story enforces is powerful and beneficial for students.

C- The example I have chosen to share helps prove my point about the enriching imagery. “A chest of drawers made of match boxes. There was a round table with a red velvet cloth, which Pod had made from the wooden bottom of a pill box.”

4. This would be a great book to read aloud to a class. Students could use their imaginations, and teachers could have them complete writing assignments as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Borrowers.