Kristin (MyBookishWays Reviews)'s Reviews > Silver-Tongued Devil

Silver-Tongued Devil by Jaye Wells

Jan 03, 12

bookshelves: arc, urban-fantasy, for-review
Read in December, 2011

You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2012/01/...

Since the events of Green-Eyed Demon, Sabina’s twin sister, Maisie, is still reeling from her horrific ordeal and Sabina is having issues dealing with it as well, not to mention her new resolution not to drink blood from humans. However, Sabina is happy with her mage boyfriend Adam and is relieved that she’s not on the run anymore from her nasty grandmother, and super-vamp, Lavinia Kane. Maisie’s issues aside, life should be good for Sabina, right?
Wellll, not so much. See, for the sake of her and Adam’s relationship, Sabina has put aside her vamp nature to concentrate on her newly discovered mage talents. That in and of itself isn’t a bad thing, but denying her dark side is beginning to take its toll. When Adam and Sabina are asked by the powers-that-be to find out who has killed a human and a mage, Sabina reluctantly admits (to herself), that the challenge is just what she needs to get out of her rut, until she finds out that Alexis, former vamp Enforcer (what Sabina used to be) will also be helping them out. Alexis is a walking cliché and there were plenty of times that I wanted to slap her (you’ll see what I mean), but she certainly provides some color. See, it’s suspected that someone is challenging Slade (remember Slade? Hotness INC?) for control of the New York area, and conflict involving Slade is most definitely stress that Sabina doesn’t need, especially after their last tryst (which was super hot, btw). I’ll admit, Adam is nice, and he loves Sabina, but damn that Slade is the hotness and sometimes I’d love to be able to pull Sabina aside (you know ,in urban fantasy bookland), and whisper “Slade. Slade. Slade”…but I digress. What all of this amounts to is a ton of stress for Sabina, and also constant worry for Maisie, who is expected to deliver a prophecy at the upcoming peace treaty signing (and is acting rather strangely, even for someone that’s been through the kind of trauma that she has). Remember, the peace treaty that will assure peace among the dark races? Yep, it’s a huge thing, and everyone is under pressure to produce and perform, and Sabina is no exception.

On the bright side, Giguhl, our favorite demon minion is always by Sabina’s side, and his unshaking devotion to Sabina is one of the most enduring things about this series. He’s dealing with some stuff of his own though, namely involving one cross-dressing, cabaret singing fairy, but he’s also organizing a roller derby team (since the Demon Fight Club snafu), which offers some levity to the story, and many giggles (heh, giggles for Mr. Giggles:). The author puts poor Sabina through the emotional ringer in this one, and some twists will cause your jaw to drop (at least, they did mine). There are lots of changes for our heroine and her friends, and Ms. Wells doesn’t hesitate to pile the conflict on. But Sabina is up to it, even as she fights her own guilt and personal demons, not to mention her constant struggle to find herself. This series just keeps getting better and better, and you’ll find yourself turning the pages of Silver-Tongued Devil with the speed of a blood thirsty vamp (sorry, couldn’t help it). Trust me, by the time you finish this one, you’ll be more than ready for Blue-Blooded Vamp to hit the shelves in 2012!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver-Tongued Devil.