Mags~CVAddikt~Your shock-wave whisper has sealed your fate's Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

“You are a monster.” Kanin’s deep voice droned in my head again, as I forced myself to move, to walk away. “You will always be a monster—there is no turning back from it. But what type of monster you become is entirely up to you.”

What would you do to survive?

Would you steal or scavenge for food?
Would you eat roaches or rats?
Would you betray your friends?
Would you swallow your pride?
Would you become the one thing you hate the most?
Would you become a vampire?

In a world where humans are cattle for vampire, a person has two choices, to be registered as a “blood donor” to vampires in exchange for food and the right to live, or to be unregistered and fight daily to get food, shelter and live.

Allison Sakemoto was unregistered, she was part of a gang of scavengers until the day she was attacked by a rabid vampire, she was dying but Kanin, a vampire, offered her the choice to die or become a vampire, to become the thing she hates the most.

“I wished I could’ve said I would rather die than become a bloodsucker. I wished I had the courage, the strength, to stick with my convictions. But in reality, when faced with death and the great unknown that came after, my survival instinct snatched wildly at whatever lifeline was offered. I didn’t want to die. Even if it meant becoming something I loathed, my nature was, first and always, to survive.”

The concept of vampires ruling the world and treating humans as food is not new, but I have to recognize that Julie Kagawa made a great job with this concept on her worldbuilding. The world’s human society decayed after a plague, scientists tried to find a cure by experimenting on vampires but utterly failed because the virus evolved and infected vampires too, making them rabid. The vampires took control of the world, dividing the territory in walled cities to keep the rabids away. But a problem remained, vampires are now facing extinction, only masters and level two can create new vampires, with a slim percentage of success. Now, everything depends on finding a cure.

Allison escaped her city and after weeks of traveling, she found a group of humans, lead by a religious man, some sort of pilgrims looking for an island called Eden, a place with no vampires and high tech. Allison join them, pretending to be a normal girl, cause you know … in the middle of nowhere, you have to find a food source. She meets Zeke, a good guy, a remarkable good guy, the kind of guy that is one in a million.

And her journey with Zeke and the other humans is what gives Alli her humanity back, she learned to care about people, she evolved and become better, Vamp-Alli became more selfless than Human-Alli. And I think that is part of the beauty of this book, that Zeke was a positive influence to Alli, they complemented each other, they learned from each other.

Because I did care, I realized. I cared that this small, stubborn band of human beings would challenge everything in their search for a better life. I cared that they would risk rabids and starvation and horrible conditions to follow that dream and cling to hope, even if they knew, somewhere deep down, that it was impossible. I thought of Caleb and Bethany. I’d told them there would be goats in Eden. They couldn’t die now, dying of hunger or torn apart by rabids. I wanted them to succeed, to defy all odds and to make it to
the end. Could I abandon them to the very monsters that had killed me?
“No.”

So … if you were expecting vampires like this:

Forget it, you’ll get:

'Cause … this is Alli defending her people…

“No.” I smiled again, baring my fangs. “If you tell me, I won’t use you as my personal canteen until we reach Jackal’s territory. If you tell me, I won’t snap both your arms and other leg like twigs, drag you around until you’re a limp sack and dump you on the road for the rabids to find. If you tell me, the worst I’ll do is leave you here to die as you please. Actually, I’m feeling kind of hungry now…”

So … what are you waiting for … ???

IMMORTAL RULES IS A MUST READ

Mhhh I'm thinking of giving The Iron King a second chance ... just because I love Immortal Rules so much ...

Free time = new project ... you can also find the review in my evil blog...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

Quotes Mags~CVAddikt~Your shock-wave whisper has sealed your fate Liked

Julie Kagawa
“I wasn't thinking of his blood, rushing just below the skin. I wasn't thinking of his heartbeat or his touch or the pulse at his throat. Right now, all I was thinking of was Zeke.”

Julie Kagawa
“A silent road stretched before me, damp with rain and littered with cars. As I watched, pale figures began to slip through the trees or claw their way out of the earth. Rabids edged onto the pavement, filling the road, their hisses and snarls rising into the air. Their empty white eyes blazed with madness and Hunger, and they began to sprint forward . Reaching back, I drew my bladem feeling it rasp free, gleaming as it came into the light. Looking up at the approaching rabids, I smiled.”

Julie Kagawa
“Hunger flickered, always there, but I pushed it down. I was a vampire. Nothing would change that. But I didn't have to be a monster.”

Julie Kagawa
“The mighty hunter,” I quipped as we snuck out the backdoor, escaping into the yard. “He can take down vicious rabids and rampaging boars, but one old lady can make him flee in terror.”

“One scary old lady,” he corrected me, looking relieved to be out of the house. “You didn’t hear what she told me when I got up — you’re so cute I could put you in a pie. Tell me that’s not the creepiest thing you’ve ever heard.” His voice climbed a few octaves, turning shrill and breathy. “Today for dessert, we have apple pie, blueberry pie and Ezekiel pie.”

Julie Kagawa
“You are a monster.” Kanin’s deep voice droned in my head again, as I forced myself to move, to walk away. “You will always be a monster, there is no turning back from it. But what type of monster you become is entirely up to you.”

Julie Kagawa
“He smiled, a real one this time, though his voice remained teasing. “So, what do you think I am?” Naive, I thought at once. Naive, brave, selfless, incredible and much too kind to survive this world. It’ll break you in the end, if you keep going like this. Good things never last.”

04/16/2012
9.0% "Nice!!! This book even has crazy red eye evil blood sucking deers!!!!!" 2 comments
04/16/2012
35.0% "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Kanin!!!!"
04/17/2012
67.0% ""You are a monster. You will always be a monster - there is no turning back from it. But what type of monster you become is entirely up to you.""

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Selene please do so! Iron King is slow, but Iron Daughter and Iron Queen are EPIC!!

Mags~CVAddikt~Your shock-wave whisper has sealed your fate Last week I finished Iron King, and I love it ... ok ... after the 60% I began to love it :P
I already have Iron Daughter waiting for me on my Kindle ;)