Meg - A Bookish Affair's Reviews > Seven Seasons in Siena: My Quixotic Quest for Acceptance Among Tuscany's Proudest People

Seven Seasons in Siena by Robert Rodi

Dec 20, 11

bookshelves: 2011, memoir, non-fiction, europe
Read from December 09 to 20, 2011

Guys, I have an obsession with Italy. My husband and I traveled to Rome, Assisi and Venice (plus London) for our honeymoon in 2010. I fell in love and I am anxious to go back. After reading this book, I think I need to add Siena to my list. Robert falls in love with the Tuscan city and its people. He becomes quickly obsessed with the Palio, a bareback horse race that takes place every year between all of the vastly different neighborhoods in Siena. It's an event that no one in the town misses and I can see why. In a typically Italian fashion, there are celebrations and negotiations that take place before the race.

You really get a good sense of the town and how important the tradition of both the neighborhoods and the Palio mean to the people of Siena. I loved it! One thing I will say is that Rodi goes to Siena several times and even though the times are divided up by chapters, it's a little hard to keep track of what was happening when throughout the book. I had to keep backtracking in order to figure out where I was.

This is a great book for those who are looking for a slice of Italian life!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Seasons in Siena.