Barbara Simeles's Reviews > The Mage's Daughter

The Mage's Daughter by Lynn Kurland

F_50x66
Dec 09, 11

Read on December 09, 2011, read count: 1

What started out as a cute love story in the first book turned into a disgustingly sappy yawnfest in this one. Miach and Morgan are reduced to lovesick fools, who are endlessly trying to sacrifice themselves for the other. If I were one of the other characters, I'd surely be puking from all the goggly eyes and clingy love scenes these two create. There are somewhat interesting things going on with the plot and the main characters are growing in power and skill, but their personalities just suck. Morgan spends most of this book weeping and Miach keeps thinking he can protect her by leaving her behind, despite her being a better warrior than him and having the potential to become a powerful mage. For the first part of the book, I could excuse their drastic changes in personality, since Morgan was recovering from a near-death experience. But as it went on and she continued to be emotionally weak, I couldn't deal with it. I could only finish this book by skimming through a lot of the weepy love confessions. Why were there so few descriptions of battles or magic or anything else going on? And what happened to all the interesting characters? Blech!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mage's Daughter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Stuhlsatz I had a patron come up to the desk yesterday and hand me the first book in this series, saying I needed to read it.

Barbara Simeles The first one wasn't bad. And I think the third one might be similarly interesting. But the second one... makes it hard for me to pick up any fantasy book.