Collin's Reviews > Virginia's General: Robert E. Lee and the Civil War

Virginia's General by Albert Marrin

Dec 09, 2011

bookshelves: history-curriculum
Read in December, 2011

I officially love Robert E. Lee. And this is not because I'm a Southerner (even though I am). Well, not totally. Need to have a bit of loyalty, after all. But still - Robert E. Lee was a seriously good guy.

And it's not because this is a radical Southern book, either. I'm not Civil War expert, but from what I can tell, Marrin did a fair, balanced job of reporting the facts, while still adding humanity and respect to the very real soldiers and especially generals of the Civil War. Not even Lee was perfect, even in this biography lauding his excellent character and personality.

Also, unlike most CW books I've read, the South isn't demonized. That means quite a bit to me. Neither is the Union a perfect bastion of honor and goodwill. No, they're both flawed, human governments with a mixture of good and bad motivations behind their actions. (Marrin even stoops to reporting a few 'bad' things about President Lincoln, something I haven't seen before.)

In short, this is my favorite sort of history book - one on history and its events, but as seen through the eyes of its distinctive actors. Especially General Lee. He was an amazing fellow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Virginia's General.