Mercedes's Reviews > Extras

Extras by Scott Westerfeld

Dec 15, 11

bookshelves: ya, dystopia, series, completed-series
Read from December 09 to 10, 2011

As if Tally's story wasn't enough, we're introduced to Aya, a young Japanese girl, who lives in, well, Japan. Aya is looking for a good story to 'kick' in order to get her face rank up and stumbles upon something bigger than she could ever imagine.

I'll say it right now: I wasn't impressed. Aya in particular was unrelatable and whiny. Frizz, a manga-head pretty, was even worse with his "radical honesty" surge. The two of them combined made one head-aching story. I honestly didn't buy their relationship, at all. The story started off pretty good...until it just started to drift away in pieces. This is one of those books where a certain event is built up and you think something major is about to happen only to be let down with the sunshine and rainbows. It really killed me that the plot was so long and drawn out and in the end nothing happened.

Our Special, Tally (plus Shay and Fausto), makes a surprise appearance, and I really, really hate to say it, but everything after she appears is just bogus. I love Tally to death, but she made the book go downhill. Imagine the language barrier. Aya can barely speak English. Her brother can say a few words and his best friend is no better. But, for some odd reason, toward to the end of the book everyone is having a conversation...in English. Their chatting happily with Tally and I'm left wondering what happened.
I'm sorry, it just didn't work for me.

I can't say Extras was absolutely terrible, the Sly Girls were pretty awesome and Moggie is pretty cool, but everything else? Not so much. It was just alright and it felt it was like an 'extra' in the series. I recommend borrowing or checking Extras out at the library before committing to a buy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extras.

12/09/2011
53.0% "Wow. Wow. Chills. Now that was scary."
12/10/2011
94.0% "Why is everyone suddenly speaking English? I thought they only had a minimal vocab???"