Ruds's Reviews > Some Girls: My Life in a Harem

Some Girls by Jillian Lauren

1985631
Dec 11, 11

Read from December 09 to 11, 2011 — I own a copy

In the mid-90's, the Philippines was gripped by a scandal on the alleged flesh trade of Filipina models, actresses and entertainers in Brunei that a senate investigation was even called. I picked out this book hoping to glean insider accounts of the mysterious, sensual lives of the girls( or, as the author lightly put it, the royal entertainers) inside a harem. And yeah, I was hoping Ruffa Guiterrez's name will be brought up.

In her time inside Prince Jefri's harem, the author befriended a Filipina actress named Fiona( definitely a pseudonym ) who was the prince's favorite among the lot. He even proposed to her but the actress turned him down, hightailed it out of the country bringing with her expensive clothes, jewelries,at least a million dollars, and never came back. I made a quick, mental calculation and concluded it can't be Ruffa because the age did not fit. Or Cristina Gonzales's. They might have come some time later. In the book, Fiona spoke with a slight British accent. That should narrow it down. Or not.

Towards the end, the Prince got engaged to a Filipina singer named Iyen, who I'm pretty sure was Ayen Munji who later would become one of his four wives ( highly disputed, as it was reported that the Prince married several times more than the four allowed by Islamic law). Ayen, later on divorced the Prince and married Franco Laurel.

3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

whiw It's not only Ruffa and Cristina that were involved in that scandal there was also Gretchen Barretto and Maritoni Fernandez as reported here: http://www.pep.ph/features/looking-back/... out of the two remaining, my guess would be the one with the British Blood explaining the British accent.

Ruds I totally forgot about those two. Of them, one can easily find out who has an English parent/s. She fits the age as well. Thanks Whiw, I found my Fiona.