Chet's Reviews > Republic, Lost: How Money Corrupts Congress--and a Plan to Stop It

Republic, Lost by Lawrence Lessig

M 50x66
Dec 09, 11

Read in December, 2011

This is a brief, but dense treatise on how our current system of campaign financing and lobbying thoroughly corrupts our government. While this is not news to anyone, Lessig carefully documents how the insatiable need for campaign funds distorts our republic from one that serves the people to one that serves the super rich. Obama talked a lot about changing this system when he ran for President, but he has put change on the back burner while he focused on getting other stuff done.

Lessig's primary solution is to get citizens to promote a constitutional convention to change campaign financing to a government funded, but citizen directed, system. Below are some web sites that are already trying to organize action.

Both Tea Party and Occupy "_____" types should be able to agree that this book addresses what needs to be done to save our country.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Republic, Lost.

message 1: by Mary Grace (new)

Mary Grace Walsh Another of the things we all know about; and yet no change seems to come. You might want to catch Left,Right and Center on PBS. Last week this was the topic for the whole show.