Becs 's Reviews > Lover Reborn

Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward

Mar 29, 12

bookshelves: alpha-hero, kindle, paranormal-romance, vampires, widow-widower
Read from March 26 to 29, 2012

So Tohr without Wellsie – words cannot describe the shock I felt when the Warden had Wellsie killed way back. But, as in all things, life must go on – Tohr must move on and so must we, the readers. It needs time to tell a story of this magnitude and we are treated to a lengthy story – this is a weighty tome.

Thanks to Lassiter, the junk food and trash tv addicted angel, Tohr is back with the Brothers. He’s not, however, the vampire he used to be – he’s a shell of a man he once was, consumed by grief and living only to ahvenge the loss of his beloved shellan and to finally take his place in the Fade beside her. The only comfort he has is that Wellsie and his young are in the Fade – only they’re not. Lassiter explains that there’s a place between the Dhund and the Fade – the InBetween – and Wellsie and their son are trapped there, preventing from passing into the Fade by Tohr’s inability to let go of them and his grief and they are fading away – soon to be lost.

Enter No One – it’s easy to think of her as a little old lady as she limps around the mansion hidden beneath her hooded cape only, underneath that hood, she is a very beautiful vampire, one that bears deep emotional scars. She’s back in the mansion to reconnect with her daughter Xhex and wishes only to serve and puts herself to work with the doggen. No One was once the beautiful but vain and spoiled daughter of a family of worth in the Old Country until she was abucted by a Sympath and raped until impregnanted. Rescued by Darius and Tohr, she gave birth to Xhex and then committed suicide with Tohr’s dagger and was brought back by the Scribe Virgin only to serve.

She thinks she has no further purpose than this and it’s hard to see how a relationship can develop between her and Tohr but, slowly, it starts to build and it’s certainly not without some major hiccups. Tohr at first approaches this only as a route to release Wellsie from the In Between despite the fact that No One is falling in love with him and it takes four seasons for Tohr to finally realise his own feelings and start to move on from his all-consuming grief.

Elsewhere, Xhex and John Matthew, newly mated, are not getting along. Xhex considers herself a lean mean fighting machine and nothing should change. Unfortunately, now she has a hellren, everyone else around her has changed. The Brothers all look to John for guidance in how to deal with her, the doggen attempt to surround her with girlie stuff as they would any other female of the house and John Matthew himself cannot deal with Xhex fighting and putting herself in danger and becomes over-protective. He tells her he doesn’t want to end up like Tohr, lost without his shellan, and ultimately, through his actions they become estranged and he ends up living without his shellan anyway. They’ve a long emotional journey to make before they can even get close to resolving these issues.

Blay and Qhuinn – Blay is still with Saxton, Qhinn is still feeding and being fed by Layla and, despite this, Blay and Qhuinn are still obviously in love, still denying this openly. When will we get their story? Soon, I hope.

Xcor and his Band of Bastards are back, this time with his eyes on the prize – Wrath’s throne. They try to infiltrate the Glymera, to destabilise Wrath’s rule and this is obviously a story line that will roll over into at least the next book.

We meet a new vampire, Assail, newly arrived in Caldwell from the Old Country. He’s a lone wolf and a drug dealer and his motivations and intentions remain a mystery.

Most of the other Brothers take a bit of a back seat in this one with only small contributions to the overall story and there’s no mention of Mhurder.

Overall, this was an amazing story and probably a very difficult one to tell as it was almost impossible to see Tohr finding any happiness with anyone but Wellsie but go with it – it’s deeply satisfying. There’s some real heartbreaking moments too – Tohr losing control and shredding a Lesser before finally landing the kill shot and Tohr weeping over Wellsie’s red dress that she wore at their mating to name but two.

My favourite thing in the novel has to be Lassiter and he turns out to be the hero of the novel. The Warden gives him the best lines.

My name’s Lassiter, and I’ll tell you all you need to know about me. I’m an angel first and a sinner second,

(view spoiler)

He attempts to reacquaint Tohr with the art of romance by subjecting him to death by romcom making him watch romantic movies and episodes of Moonlighting and worries that there won’t be talk shows in heaven.

So, all in all, a deeply satisfying story and a lot is left unresolved and it’s going to be a long year until the next book comes out. I have to say it was great fun to get this book on release day and read it at the same time as so many of my Goodreads friends – it really added to the experience.

5 stars paranormal romance/urban fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Reborn.

03/26/2012 page 1
0.0% "Long awaited and finally here - woohoo!!"
03/27/2012 page 1
0.0% "As I look down my friends page here at Goodreads, almost everyone is reading either Lover Reborn or a Kristen Ashley novel!" 1 comment
03/28/2012
50.0% "Autumn"
03/28/2012
50.0% "Does everyone's edition say Autumn or do the American versions say Fall??"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva YES! And it's locked and loaded on my Kindle!

Becs Mine too - bloody work! Can't start it for hours

message 3: by Meg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Meg LOL I think everyone is reading this today!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Great review! This was one emotional story.

Becs Thanks Dhes - it sure was. I feel the need to go back to the start for a full reread.

message 6: by Shawna (last edited Apr 01, 2012 08:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Great review, Becs! "There’s no one quite like J.R. Ward – she has her own unique style which is so very addictive. It feels so good to be back in her world. Black Dagger Brotherhood = Literary Crack. Pure and Simple." That perfectly sums it up!

Becs Thanks Shawna :-)