Katie Kenig's Reviews > Single Wife

Single Wife by Nina Solomon

Dec 13, 11

bookshelves: chicklit
Read from December 09 to 13, 2011

Grace's husband is prone to disappearing for short stints, so when he doesn't come home as expected, she doesn't think much of it. She is used to lying for him, and covering for him, and so she does so for a day. Then another. Then a week. Then another.

Her denial is thick enough that she can't even face the fact that people are seeing through her denial. That she continues to lie to her parents, to her friends, to herself, even when it's reached an absurd level. When do you say enough is enough? When do you admit that the lies you have been telling are more for yourself than for anyone you think you're helping or sparing?

Interesting story, though I was increasingly angry through the book with the inclusion of crochet as a theme without much knowledge or research done on the part of the writer or editors. What happened to fact checking, hm? Whoever wrote about "dropping a loop" here or there had heard a knitter talk and didn't understand that the term doesn't translate to crochet work. Also, if you work in chain stitch for hours, you don't end up with a four foot by two foot piece of crochet work. You end up with a very skinny rope.

While I liked the rest of the book, this had me so disconcerted that it dropped a full star from my rating.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Single Wife.