Annie's Reviews > Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength

Willpower by Roy F. Baumeister

Dec 09, 11

Read in November, 2011

I picked up this book as a way to increase my willpower for training for a marathon. Indeed, it did help - in very specific ways - train my mind to overcome the "wall" that I would encounter on my long runs. More than this, it helped me become more productive and organized in my daily routines, specifically as a mother and a graduate student. I have taken the practical and very applicable advice from this book and put it to work in my life, and noticed results almost immediately. What we think we can't do is not all in our mind, but it lies within the actions and routines that we create for ourselves. Everyone gets beat down, everyone gets burned out, but the advice from Baumeister allows us to recognize how and why that happens, and offers specific ideas on how to deal with those incidents, and then turn them around. I applaud the author's use of peer-reviewed journal articles to summarize what scientists have learned in the past decade or so; he uses these studies and wrote them up as a review "paper" that us non-psychologists can understand and relate to our own lives. Way to stay objective and give great advice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Willpower.