Jeannie and Louis Rigod's Reviews > The Last Word

The Last Word by Ellery Adams

Dec 10, 11

Read on December 09, 2011 — I own a copy

This novel entertained me on so many levels that I find it rather hard to review. "The Last Word," is an historical fiction murder mystery set in modern times. The book is in Oyster Bay, North Carolina which has held some amazing, to me, secrets that are explored as the setting for the crime.

Olivia Limoges is the main character who continues to grow throughout this series. One thing we know about Olivia is that she cares for her friends which are picked with extreme care. Olivia does not love easily, but, her generosity of spirit when she does is immense.

This book covers the gamut of emotions which is a rarity in a murder mysteries. I laughed, cried, caught my breath, felt saddened, felt joyous, and finally felt that I, as a reader was myself a friend of Olivia's now.

The murder was complex and involved a section of history unknown to myself. Ms. Adams made me feel as though I was present at the New Bern Prison Camp and knew the parties personally. I could sense the atmosphere of the times and understood the reasoning behind the original murder. The skillful writing allowed me to understand the passion behind the next murders. Also, the greed and total destruction of families during war times that follow us through decades.Even though the crimes are solved, I was left with the pain of the shadows that will continue to haunt Oyster Bay and it's inhabitants.

This was a powerful book and I hope many persons will read it. I look forward to the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Word.

12/09/2011 page 37