Edna's Reviews > The Other Guy's Bride

The Other Guy's Bride by Connie Brockway

Jan 05, 12

bookshelves: 2012, historical-romance
Read from December 29, 2011 to January 02, 2012

I wanted to love this. I really did. But I couldn't. The romance and the masquerade fell a bit short for me. It did start off quite strong and I had a few laughs, but then it just kind of went downhill. I hated how long the rouse went for and how far the relationship went under those pretenses. I couldn't really understand why they liked each other. They were good characters on their own, I admit. Jim was fascinating with his mysterious background and his current state of being some rough-tough desert cowboy (view spoiler). Ginny bordered on annoying at times, but I was interested as she tried to find her niche in her family, to stand out as her parent and siblings. The two of them, however, just didn't click, in my opinion. While I did like Jim and Ginesse individually, I actually would rather follow along on Haji's journey—he was fascinating and a lot of fun with Ginesse (not as a love interest, but just as a a semi-friend, or sibling-like figure). (view spoiler) Then there were editing issues, like others have pointed out, that bothered me.

I like the idea of a desert road trip, just having that exotic atmosphere and being immersed in a culture outside of England. It's why I loved As You Desire or Meredith Duran's The Duke of Shadows or Sherry Thomas' Not Quite A Husband. I'm sad this one didn't come up to my expectations, but I do hope other characters in this novel might get a story.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Guy's Bride.

message 1: by Ceci (new)

Ceci I knew you were going to read this one!!! I can't wait to have a copy of it!! ;)

Edna OMG you have no idea! I only just saw it in an email and I freaked out. Haha. Now I think I should reread As You Desire. :P