Morgan's Reviews > Pushing the Limits

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

May 18, 12

bookshelves: 4-stars, 5-stars
Read in May, 2012

I had EXTREMELY high expectations going into Pushing the Limits, and Ms. McGarry's debut novel didn't disappoint. I absolutely, positively LOVED everything about this novel: the author's writing style, the characters, the plot, the conclusion, the humor, the realism, the romance, and the suspense. I have zero complaints about this addicting, page-turner.

Every now and then you get lucky and you find a special book, one that has everything you are looking for in a book. Pushing the Limits was one of those books. It's the type of book that makes you laugh out loud and ball your eyes out. It's the type of book that touches your heart and motivates you to make a difference. It's the type of book that makes you fall head over heels in love with the characters. It's the type of book that makes you giddy and gives you butterflies. Pushing the Limits was a great find.

Told by Echo and Noah in alternating perspectives, Pushing the Limits was an entertaining, sweet, addicting romance novel that explored multiple real issues simultaneously. Ms. McGarry did a wonderful job capturing both the male and the female POV. Echo and Noah's voices were raw, honest, and personalized; it's easy to differentiate between their perspectives. Both characters were extremely well-developed and very representative of their age, gender, and social status. Ms. McGarry also did a fabulous job capturing the friendships, cliques, and pressures of high school, as well as, the obstacles and responsibilities that young adults face.

I like how this book highlighted a lot of "the systems" downfalls but also showed that it's not a completely failing system. There is some good in the world and not everyone is out to get you when your down. There are good people in today's world, just like there are bad people.

I like how Ms. McGarry resolved conflict. I love happily ever after endings, but I hate fairy tale endings. Let me explain. I like it when problems are resolved with a happy solution, but I don't like it when the solutions are unrealistic. I especially don't like it when 20 million improbable things occur simultaneously, everything falls perfectly into place, and the characters get on their magical flying pony and fly over the freaking moon. In my opinion, Ms. McGarry did an amazing job creating happy, yet realistic solutions. There weren't any flying ponies in this story!

I also like how the author avoided falling into the expected, laid-out, stereotypical traps. I really admire her for that. Here is an example. The stage (TRAP) was set when Noah met Echo's father for the first time. You had the super controlling father who wanted his daughter to get back with her popular ex-boyfriend and the "bad" boy foster kid who smokes pot and enjoys one-night stands. I was convinced that Echo's father was going to get in the way of Echo and Noah's relationship. I could feel it in my bones. But, Ms. McGarry surprised me when she avoided the trap and did something even better. I won't tell you what she did. Honestly it wasn't even that big of a thing, but I felt like I learned so much more about the characters, particularly Noah and Mr. Emerson, from the way she handled their first encounter.

Pushing the Limits is the perfect novel for young adults. It's not a "clean" novel, but it's not a "dirty" novel either. This novel talks about sex, contains some drug use, and drops a couple of f-bombs, but in my opinion, it's not a risque novel.

I gave Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry 5 STARS (4.5 STARS). Let me reiterate: Mark your calendars NOW! Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry will be available on July 31st, 2012! Trust me, you don't want to miss out on this phenomenal young adult romance novel! Pushing the Limits is a MUST READ!

-XOXO

READING, EATING AND DREAMING

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pushing the Limits.

message 1: by ASG (new)

ASG where did you find it? is there an ebook?

Morgan It's an Advanced Reader Copy that I received through netgalley. It will be released on July 31st, 2012.

message 3: by ✿Alyssa✿ (new)

✿Alyssa✿ Ahhh, I can't wait to hear what you think of this one! I'm DYING for it to be released :)

Morgan Alyssa - I just finished it and I absolutely loved it! :) I definitely think it's worth reading.

message 5: by ✿Alyssa✿ (new)

✿Alyssa✿ That makes me so happy to hear girl! I can't wait for July 31st! :)

Alexis *Reality Bites* Now you got me all hype!!! Can't wait!!!!

Happy WOW this sounds outstanding!!

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie Price If you are raving about this book, I'll definitely try it. You were spot on about Fifty Shades, long before anyone had heard of it!

Morgan Thanks Katie! PtL is a great book. It's definitely for a younger audience than Fifty Shades but it's not too young! Let me know what you think about it!