Meredith Schorr's Reviews > Single in the City

Single in the City by Michele Gorman

Dec 20, 11

Read from December 09 to 19, 2011

This story, about a 26-year-old woman who, as a result of too much alcohol and prodding from her BFF, decides to leaves her home and life in Connecticut to begin a new life in London is hilarious. If you like Sophie Kinsella and the characters she creates, you'll definitely enjoy this novel by Michele Gorman.

The story follows Hannah as she arrives in London, friendless, jobless, manless and completely out of her element. The reader gets a front row seat as she makes new friends, treds the choppy dating waters and begins a career as an assistant party planner. Hannah is so funny and, in my opinion, completely relatable. She is, all at once, awkward, snarky, bold, resourceful, klumsy, witty and vulnerable.

I really enjoyed this book which, in addition to being a very funny read, taught me a lot about the cultural differences between the U.S. and London. The secondary characters were also very believable and added to my enjoyment of the story. My only complaint was that Hannah's hard fall for her love interest seemed to come out of nowhere. While I predicted it would be him and was happy it was him, I wish there had been a little more build up. Also, I wasn't a fan of the single quotation marks for dialogue. Finally, I wasn't thrilled with the ending so I am excited that there is a sequel in the works - will definitely read it!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Single in the City.

12/19/2011