Heather Moss's Reviews > Shattered

Shattered by Kathryn Casey

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: true-crime, on-my-kindle
Read in July, 2012

(copied from my review on Amazon.com)

I read a lot of true crime books, and I think Kathryn Casey is a decent writer for the genre. There isn't a lot of mystery in this case; you know from the beginning who killed Belinda, and the suspense rests on whether the police and prosecution will come up with enough evidence to convict the cheating sociopath. So Casey's real job here was making the biographical details of Belinda, David, their families, friends, co-workers, and neighbors compelling enough to drive the story. She mostly succeeded, but I think the book should have been about 50 pages shorter and better-organized.

For instance, one cringeworthy phrase (Belinda's) in the book is, "Mops and Pops, it's number 5." I could have read that once and not been irritated, but the author brings it up again and again, and it really has no significance other than being a pet-phrase Belinda used when she called her parents. Towards the end of the book, I started to skim rather than reading every word, because almost everything had been mentioned at least once already. I also think the author dwelt too long on characters who turned out to be rather unimportant, like David's ex-girlfriend, Pam. Maybe she had a page-count that she had to make so she included a lot of filler? Just speculating. Anyway, I do recommend the book because the family dynamics and Texas settings are fascinating, and the case is quite heartbreaking. Just know up front that it could have been edited a lot more concisely.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattered.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Colette I enjoy true crime stories and as with any true story, you always know the "who done it" and outcome so I find that a difficult negative to the book!

Heather Moss That's true for me, too -- that's why my favorite true crime books have to really examine the motives and psychology of the criminals. Otherwise, I might as well just read a newspaper article about the crime!