Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)'s Reviews > Sloppy Firsts

Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty

Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: a-z-challenge, favorites
Read from April 03 to 08, 2012

Talk about the last person to hear about something awesome!! I read YA books like it's my job (mostly bc I wish it was my job), and I've been missing out on this one for over 10 years!?!? I don't know where I've been that I only ever even knew it existed about a year ago... but anyhow I LOVE!!!
Jessica Darling is a high school junior whose best friend has moved away. Now she has to make nice with the Clueless Crew?! This is not going to go well. Jessica is too smart and cynical to enjoy being with people who say "Omigod" and "quote unquote". But suffer she must because WHAT ELSE IS SHE GONNA DO? She continues on her junior year running track, avoiding Krispy Kreme (the school druggy who takes an interest in her), avoiding Scotty (the jock who has/had a crush on her), and avoiding the Clueless Crew (including the new girl Hy), preparing for her sister's wedding, and dealing with her parents and the pressure she feels from them to be someone she's not.... all while giving hilariously honest commentary on her situations.

Like I said before I don't know how it's been so long with me not reading this book, but I'm so happy I finally did! Although i wasnt like Jessica all that much in HS, I feel like I totally relate to her in so many ways. I feel like I think similarly to her.... kinda negative, kinda mean, but not near as funny or witty. I love how the beginning of each chapter was a letter to Hope, this broke everything up nicely. And I love how the author didn't censor stuff like sex, drugs, swearing. Sorry but it drives me nuts in books when teens go to parties and they drink pop and eat chips... what planet are these people living on?? I get it's about the message, but it's not reality!
If you want to read a book that pretty accurately portrays teenage life, this is so it!
(I may also be slightly biased because I went to hs around the same time this was written, so with all the pop-culture references it feels like high school to me :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sloppy Firsts.

Michelle (FabBookReviews) So happy you loved it!! It's one of my all-time favourites :)

Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books) Definitely one of my new favorites too!! I got Second Helpings today at the library... I'm addicted!