Hot Stuff Book Reviews's Reviews > The Year Nick McGowan Came to Stay

The Year Nick McGowan Came to Stay by Rebecca Sparrow

Dec 12, 2011

liked it
Read in December, 2011

This book is a one shot very quick to read that takes place in 1989. Even if it's a little strange to "see" characters without cell-phones and all the technology we've got today, teenagers stay teenagers.

I can't really write a negative review because there're good things in this book like Nick McGowan or Rachel - the main character - but I'm not really fond of this book. I'm not delighted I had read it and I'm a little disappointed by the end that's just a succession of events that don't make me sad or happy or something. Even the epilogue is a disappointment for me.

But, like I wrote it above, Nick McGowan is a good character that I would have loved to "see" more in the plot. The dialogues with Rachel are quite funny but Rachel is sometimes a little boring. The reader understands her but at some point I wanted something huge to shatter more this character.

I feel about this book that sometimes it was like a résumé of the plot or a storyline with no real risks taken. It's a pleasant read but not one that I would recommand or one that I'll remember of in few months.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year Nick McGowan Came to Stay.