Estara's Reviews > Hearts and Swords: Four Original Stories of Celta

Hearts and Swords by Robin D. Owens

Dec 09, 2011

bookshelves: ebook, read-in-2011
Recommended to Estara by: auto-buy series
Read from December 25 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I really liked the look at the final days of Nuala's Sword before planetfall - and I liked Kelse and his love a lot. I hope we get to see more of them even if it's just via archeological findings in the current timeline. I hope Arianrhod's Wheel also made it down safely.

What I particularly like about Robin Owens is that her heroes and heroines need not necessarily be in their 20s to be beautiful or in love or whatever - the lovely story about how Blush Willow, having been abused by her mother all her life, finally reconnects with her Heartmate and how they go about dealing with all the resentment and heartache of their years apart (and that combined with a tiny reflection on how people deal with difficult older relatives which WORKS and is not didactic) is one example par excellence for this.

The Genista Furze story was a good coda of new beginnings and old endings, I especially liked seeing an intimate ritual with only two participants as Lord and Lady in detail. I could have done without the action part of the plot, but oh well. Whin the dog was great, especially with his thoughtful gifts ^^.

My second favourite of the four stories was the final story of totally content Walker Clover suddenly waking up having undergone passage to such a degree that he has elevated all of the Clover Family into NobleFamilydom.

I liked seeing the initial Danith D'Ash outsider perspective but because Walker becomes head of the Clover family (at least nominally) he has to study all kinds of stuff in more detail than Danith did - and he has to negotiate all the demands of big family and outside allies expectations, while knowing that he can never go back to his former role in life. All of that and the reveal of exactly WHY he has gotten this much flair and the upset this brings to his core family group. Some more love for getting more of an insight into the current Clover compound and family life style.

It was perfect giving him a strong diplomatic flair and having him overhear his eventual love Sedwy being coached by her mom on how to inveigle herself into his good graces - because Walker had been set-up with a strong pragmatic/common sense streak it made total sense that he would deal with her as a known-danger which would still be potentially useful.

Because so much else is happening to Walker we don't get as much development of mutual love as we usually do, but the story worked for me with its strong focus on the Clovers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hearts and Swords.