Emily's Reviews > Unravel Me

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Jun 18, 14

bookshelves: my-own-collection, all-time-favorites
Read from June 17 to 18, 2014

I can't wait for this to come out. Oh, goodie.

Predictions/Expectations:
- Me being on both Team Warner and Team Adam, but slightly leaning to more on Team Warner.
- Warner's mom would play a part.
- More love action between Adam and Juliette.
- More love action between Warner and Juliette than Adam.
- Explanation on why Warner and Adam can touch Juliette.
- Meet more interesting characters.

- - - -
There's finally a title!! WOOPEE. "Unravel me", sounds really interesting.

Apparently, all my expectations were seen in this book. And from the looks of it, I am now an official Team Warner.

At the first few chapters, I found myself hating on how weak-willed the heroine was. Thank God, her attitude changed!

Mysteries left in the first book have been answered by Unravel Me and I'm curious to what Warner's IGNITE means.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unravel Me.

Quotes Emily Liked

Tahereh Mafi
“Books are easily destroyed. But words will live as long as people can remember them.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I want to be the friend you fall hopelessly in love with. The one you take into your arms and into your bed and into the private world you keep trapped in your head. I want to be that kind of friend. The one who will memorize the things you say as well as the shape of your lips when you say them. I want to know every curve, every freckle, every shiver of your body.

I want to know where to touch you, I want to know how to touch you. I want to know convince you to design a smile just for me. Yes, I do want to be your friend. I want to be your best friend in the entire world.”

Tahereh Mafi
“The man is moody as hell.”

“I am not moody—”

“Yeah, bro.” Kenji puts his utensils down. “You are moody. It’s always ‘Shut up, Kenji.’ ‘Go to sleep, Kenji.’ ‘No one wants to see you naked, Kenji.’ When I know for a fact that there are thousands of people who would love to see me naked—”

Tahereh Mafi
“I want so many things,” he whispers. “I want your mind. Your strength. I want to be worth your time.” His fingers graze the hem of my top and he says “I want this up.” He tugs on the waist of my pants and says “I want these down.” He touches the tips of his fingers to the sides of my body and says, “I want to feel your skin on fire. I want to feel your heart racing next to mine and I want to know it’s racing because of me, because you want me. Because you never,” he says, he breathes, “never want me to stop. I want every second. Every inch of you. I want all of it.”

Tahereh Mafi
“And he leans in, so carefully. Breathing
and not breathing and hearts beating
between us and he’s so close, he’s so close and I can’t feel my legs anymore. I can’t feel my fingers or the cold or the emptiness of this room because all I feel is him, everywhere,filling everything and he whispers
“Please.”
He says “Please don’t shoot me for this.”
And he kisses me.
His lips are softer than anything I've ever known, soft like a first snowfall, like biting into cotton candy, like melting and floating and being weightless in water. It’s sweet, it’s
so effortlessly sweet.
And then it changes.
“Oh God—”
He kisses me again, this time stronger,
desperate, like he has to have me, like he’s dying to memorize the feel of my lips against his own. The taste of him is making me crazy; he’s all heat and desire and peppermint and I want more. I've just begun reeling him in, pulling him into me when he breaks away.
He’s breathing like he’s lost his mind andhe’s looking at me like something has brokeninside of him, like he’s woken up to find that
his nightmares were just that, that they never existed, that it was all just a bad dream that felt far too real but now he’s awake and he’s safe and everything is going to be okay and
I’m falling.
I’m falling apart and into his heart and I’m a disaster.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Have you ever had a girlfriend, Kenji?"
"What?" He looks mortally offended. "Do I LOOK like the kind of guy who's never had a girlfriend? Have you even MET me?”

Tahereh Mafi
“Are you kidding?” I stop in the middle of the kitchen. Spin around. My face is pulled together in disbelief. “You’ve spoken to me maybe once in the two weeks I’ve been here. I hardly even notice you anymore.”

“Okay, hold up,” he says, turning to block my path. “We both know there’s no way you haven’t noticed all of this” — he gestures to himself — “so if you’re trying to play games with me, I should let you know up front that it’s not going to work.”

“What?” I frown. “What are you talking abou—”

“You can’t play hard to get, kid.” He raises an eyebrow. “I can’t even touch you. Takes ‘hard to get’ to a whole new level, if you know what I mean.”

“Oh my God,” I mouth, eyes closed, shaking my head. “You are insane.”

He falls to his knees. “Insane for your sweet, sweet love!”

Tahereh Mafi
“Please—please get up—and lower your voice—”
“Hell no.”
“Why not?” I’m pleading now.
“Because if I lower my voice, I won’t be able to hear myself speak. And that,” he says, “is my favorite part.”

“You can go to hell!"
"Just because I'm going to hell doesn't mean you'll ever deserve her.”

“You destroy me."
"Juliette," he says and he mouths the name, barely speaking at all, and he's pouring molten lava into my limbs and I never even knew I could melt straight to death.
"I want you," he says. He says "I want all of you. I want you inside and out and catching your breath and aching for me like I ache for you." He says it like it's a lit cigarette lodged in his throat, like he wants to dip me in warm honey and he says "It's never been a secret. I've never tried to hide that from you. I've never pretended I wanted anything less."
"You-you said you wanted f-friendship-"
"Yes," he says, he swallows, "I did. I do. I do want to be your friend. He nods and I register the slight movement in the air between us. "I want to be the friend you fall hopelessly in love with. The one you take into your arms and into your bed and into the private world you keep trapped in your head. I want to be that kind of friend," he says. "The one who will memorize the things you say as well as the shape of your lips when you say them. I want to know every curve, every freckle, every shiver of your body, Juliette-"
"No," I gasp. "Don't-don't s-say that-"
"I want to know where to touch you," he says. "I want to know how to touch you. I want to know how to convince you to design a smile just for me." I feel his chest rising, falling, up and down and up and down and "Yes," he says. "I do want to be your friend." He says "I want to be your best friend in the entire world."
"I want so many things," he whispers. "I want your mind. Your strength. I want to be worth your time." His fingers graze the hem of my top and he says "I want this up." He tugs on the waist of my pants and says "I want these down." He touches the tips of his fingers to the sides of my body and says, "I want to feel your skin on fire. I want to feel your heart racing next to mine and I want to know it's racing because of me, because you want me. Because you never," he says, he breathes, "never want me to stop. I want every second. Every inch of you. I want all of it."
And I drop dead, all over the floor.
"Juliette."
I can't understand why I can still hear him speaking because I'm dead, I'm already dead, I've died over and over and over again.
He swallows, hard, his chest heaving, his words a breathless, shaky whisper when he says "I'm so-I'm so desperately in love with you-”

Tahereh Mafi
“Tattoos, for example, are very hard to forget. I think there's something about the impermanence of life these days that makes it necessary to etch ink into our skins. It reminds us that we've been marked by the world, that we're still alive. That we'll never forget.”

06/17 marked as: currently-reading
06/18 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Gardner Arrgghhh! Why the hell are u team Warner??!!! Warner is scary and wants her to torture people! Yeah I feel sorry for him and he would treat her well but his main goal is badddd bad bad! But other then that, brilliant book right?!

message 2: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa ARE U CRAZY!!!>>>??? Warner is a crazy psychopath that would premier in Criminal Minds then will get shot and u LIKE him?? u crae girl..u crae!

message 3: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa hhaha lol i think its just a bit of pity or sympathy becuz she keeps shutting him down but i feel adam is kind of redunant in his behavior

Aninhaa Where is the love for our dear psycho?
Sometimes we like the crazy one more than the perfect one...

Fafiliebe ♥ Prince Maxon ♥ Raffe ♥ i am like you . i love both guys but come one sheer for the bad boy,, i am leaning towards warner <3 i love him.. he is cool..