Beth Chandler's Reviews > Black Sun, Silver Moon Vol. 1

Black Sun, Silver Moon Vol. 1 by Tomo Maeda

Jun 14, 08

bookshelves: fantasy, manga-general, teen-ya-fiction
Recommended to Beth by: I liked author's work
Recommended for: supernatural-manga fans, humorous-manga fans
Read in January, 2007

I've fallen for this series. I'd already become a fan of Tomo Maeda after reading her first US-published manga, Beyond My Touch (adorable, humorous mild yaoi stories).

This one is primarily a supernatural story that takes place in a in a mythical (Eastern European?) country. The main characters (pictured on the cover are) a white-haired young priest (Fr. Shikimi) who battles "resurrected"--that is, recently-dead people who come back to terrorize the living, and Taki, a late-teen boy who comes to work off a debt his deceased father owed Fr. Shikimi.

Shikimi-sensei (as he's called in the manga) is lazy (except for reading and for exorcising resurrected) and keeps the grumbling yet efficient Taki working, setting up one of the many humorous bits. Little by little, Taki learns to battle resurrected and learns the many secrets behind Shikimi-sensei's life and the other people (plus an adorable puppy) who enter the picture.

The overall story is sweet and funny on one hand, intriguing and suspenseful also, and has only the smallest boys' love elements.

Artwork is clean and appealing in Maeda's unique style.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Sun, Silver Moon Vol. 1.