Nandakishore Varma's Reviews > Chasing the Monsoon

Chasing the Monsoon by Alexander Frater

Oct 09, 13

This is, without doubt, the most fascinating travelogue I have ever read. Frater follows the monsoon from its genesis in Kerala up to Cherrapunji in Assam, the wettest place on earth: in the process, he gives fascinating insights about India, the monsoon, India + the monsoon (a strange entity!) and human nature in general. His writing is wryly humorous (without being sarcastic) and sympathetic at the same time.

Being from Kerala, I know and love the monsoon. So it was all the more enjoyable for me. As I read the book, I could almost smell the smell of the first rains on parched soil, what we call "the smell of new earth".

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing the Monsoon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vishnu (new) - added it

Vishnu Thank you Nandaetta for this review. I am looking forward to read this.

message 2: by Scarlet (new) - added it

Scarlet In Mumbai, you have to wade through the monsoons these days ;)

Nandakishore Varma Vishnu wrote: "Thank you Nandaetta for this review. I am looking forward to read this."

Sorry I missed your comment. You won't be disappointed, I'm sure.

Nandakishore Varma Scarlet wrote: "In Mumbai, you have to wade through the monsoons these days ;)"

Yes, I know. My family was there for a week during this monsoon. BTW, it is almost the same in Cochin.

message 5: by Lit Bug (new) - added it

Lit Bug Seems fascinating! Thank you :)

Nandakishore Varma Lit Bug wrote: "Seems fascinating! Thank you :)"

You're welcome! It's indeed fascinating.

message 7: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl Thanks for the recommendation, Nandakishore! Looks great and something that a Texan is unfamiliar with...

Nandakishore Varma Cheryl wrote: "Thanks for the recommendation, Nandakishore! Looks great and something that a Texan is unfamiliar with..."

I am sure you will love it. Frater is great writer.