Nandakishore Varma's Reviews > Chasing the Monsoon

Chasing the Monsoon by Alexander Frater

Jun 09, 2015

This is, without doubt, the most fascinating travelogue I have ever read. Frater follows the monsoon from its genesis in Kerala up to Cherrapunji in Assam, the wettest place on earth: in the process, he gives fascinating insights about India, the monsoon, India + the monsoon (a strange entity!) and human nature in general. His writing is wryly humorous (without being sarcastic) and sympathetic at the same time.

Being from Kerala, I know and love the monsoon. So it was all the more enjoyable for me. As I read the book, I could almost smell the smell of the first rains on parched soil, what we call "the smell of new earth".

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing the Monsoon.

02/15 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-19 of 19) </span> <span class="smallText">(19 new)</span>

message 1: by Vishnu (new) - added it

Vishnu Thank you Nandaetta for this review. I am looking forward to read this.

message 2: by Scarlet (new) - added it

Scarlet In Mumbai, you have to wade through the monsoons these days ;)

Nandakishore Varma Vishnu wrote: "Thank you Nandaetta for this review. I am looking forward to read this."

Sorry I missed your comment. You won't be disappointed, I'm sure.

Nandakishore Varma Scarlet wrote: "In Mumbai, you have to wade through the monsoons these days ;)"

Yes, I know. My family was there for a week during this monsoon. BTW, it is almost the same in Cochin.

message 5: by Lit Bug (new) - added it

Lit Bug Seems fascinating! Thank you :)

Nandakishore Varma Lit Bug wrote: "Seems fascinating! Thank you :)"

You're welcome! It's indeed fascinating.

Nandakishore Varma Cheryl wrote: "Thanks for the recommendation, Nandakishore! Looks great and something that a Texan is unfamiliar with..."

I am sure you will love it. Frater is great writer.

Hana This was such a delightful book!

Nandakishore Varma Hana wrote: "This was such a delightful book!"

It was, indeed.

Pramod Nair This is a fascinating read.

Nandakishore Varma Pramod wrote: "This is a fascinating read.

:-) Nothing beats the magic combination of a monsoon downpour, a comfortable armchair in a roofed open-air porch, a fascinating book and unlimited pots of sweetened tea."

message 12: by Seemita (new) - added it

Seemita Travelogue on monsoon? Ah.. Count me in! :)

Nandakishore Varma Seemita wrote: "Travelogue on monsoon? Ah.. Count me in! :)"

You'll love it. The monsoon was and is my first love. :sigh: I hear that she has reached Kerala on her annual visit... can't wait to meet her and forget myself in her cool embrace and wet kisses, when I go on vacation at the end of July. :)

Pramod Nair Nandakishore wrote: "I would prefer spicy beef coconut fry and single malt, but then I am more tilted towards the "Asura" side. ;) ..."

Ha Ha. ;-) To "stiffen one's fibers" right?

Nandakishore Varma Pramod wrote: "Ha Ha. ;-) To "stiffen one's fibers" right?

Being a teaholic, I will stick with a pot of tea, but i will ask Jeeves to serve the Gentleman with a Whiskey and Soda."

No soda. Strictly on the rocks. :)

message 16: by Seemita (new) - added it

Seemita Nandakishore wrote: "Seemita wrote: "Travelogue on monsoon? Ah.. Count me in! :)"

Nice, NK! Hope you have a memorable date :)

Nandakishore Varma Seemita wrote: "Nice, NK! Hope you have a memorable date :) "

I hope so, too. But one can't be sure... She's so fickle...

Pramod Nair Nandakishore wrote: "No soda. Strictly on the rocks. :) ..."

"Er - Jeeves"

"Sir?"

"You heard the gentleman"

"Yes, sir."

"So, what do you think Jeeves?"

"I fear, Sir" He coughed politely "it is hardly my place to express my opinions, Sir".

"Oh Come! I insist Jeeves"

"If you say so Sir, I think the Gentleman is a true Pro, Sir" and he shimmered out of the porch to bring in our drinks.

"Here is your pot of Tea, Sir" Jeeves plopped the umpteenth pot of tea on my study table and with great reverence approached the Gentleman.

"And here is your Whiskey on the rocks, Sir" Jeeves presented the glass on a salver to Nandhaji with same sacred dignity as president of United States saying "take this congressional medal" to a deserving citizen.

Nandakishore wrote: "I hear that she has reached Kerala on her annual visit... can't wait to meet her and forget myself in her cool embrace and wet kisses, when I go on vacation at the end of July. :)" Monsoon seems a bit off-color this season. Wish you a great journey back to Kerala, Nandhaji. Have some smashing time.

Moving_Finger In hindsight, it could have been the petrichor that did me in. As I remember this book, there was way too much of Mr. Frater trying to obtain permission to get to Cherrapunji from babudom and that sort of thing is hardly the kind of romance one is looking for when one marries the monsoon and travel, if you know what I mean. But, yeah, when he gets around to describing the weather, Mr. Frater is in fine fettle. I wish there was more of that in the book. Still, I agree, a worthy read.