Nereyda Gonzalez's Reviews > Deadly Little Secret

Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Feb 28, 12

bookshelves: re-reading
Read from February 11 to 13, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

I have to start my review with this: although the first 2-3 pages have a scene that is similar to one in Twilight, this book is nothing like that and neither are the characters. I wish people would stop comparing all these great books to Twilight! Um, okay…vent over.

Camelia Hammond is just an average 16-year old teenage girl who loves art and to hang out with her two best friends, Kimmie and Wes. One day, her life changes when she is almost run over by a car and pushed out of the way by mysterious hot guy. Only instead of sticking around, he disappears before Camelia even has a chance to say thanks. But Camelia can’t stop thinking about him and the way it felt when he touched her. Sounds cliché, I know but actually very important to the story.

Fast forward a couple of months and there is a new guy at school, Ben, who Camelia thinks is the guy who saved her. But when Camelia confronts him, he denies it. Ben already has a bad reputation and there are rumors that he killed his last girlfriend. Around the same time, Camelia starts receiving photos of herself, weird phone calls, creepy notes and other stalk-ish messages. Camelia’s friends are convinced that Ben is the one who is stalking Camelia but she doesn’t think it’s him even though she knows he is hiding something. Turns out that Ben is psychometric, he can sense things through touching people or things. Will she find out who is really stalking her before it’s too late?

Deadly Little Secret is the beginning of a very promising series. The characters aren’t perfect but that is what I think makes them more real and easier to relate with. One of the biggest issues I had with Camelia is that she wouldn’t go to her parents and talk to them about the threatening notes and phone calls she was receiving. But then again, if her parents were going through a hard time and she thought that it might be pranks, I would probably do the same thing. Kimmie and Wes were awesome and never failed to crack me up. I liked reading about Kimmie and Wes’s fashion senses, their dysfunctional families and their smart ass comments.

The relationship between Camelia and Ben starts off slow but soon speeds up full-throttle only to leave us with an unexpected ending that will make you want to read the sequel, Deadly Little Lies. One of my favorite things about the book were the extra diary entries in between chapters written to Camelia by her stalker which will leave you switching suspects to try to figure out who it is. Mystery, suspense and chemistry-make sure to add this series to your TBR list!

4 out of 5 sparkly stars!
***
Some of my favorite non-spoiler quotes from Deadly Little Secret:
-“My vote is that you forget about Touch Boy,” Kimmie says, pointing at me with her straw.
“Unless of course you want to wind up being the next victim of the week,” Wes adds. “Better start wearing clean underwear. You never know when you might end up lying half naked somewhere.”

-“So then, why doesn’t he come over here? Why is he just standing there, gawking at us?” Kimmie asks.
“The angoraphobia thing,” Wes whispers, to remind her.
“That’s agoraphobia, you dumb-ass.” She swats his head with her rhinestone purse. “The poor boy doesn’t have a fear of rabbit wool.”

-“What happened until innocent until proven guilty?” I ask.
“That was Wes’s –shirt. Mine says ‘Killers suck and they belong behind bars, not dating my best friend.’”

-“You felt something just now, didn’t you?” I ask, as soon as she steps away. Ben pours sugar into his mug and stirs.
“I always feel something with you.”

-“So what do you do about things beyond your control?” he asks.
“Like what?”
His hand clenches mine harder, in a tightening pressure that nearly makes me lose my breath.
“Like whether or not it’s going to rain tomorrow, or whether I’m going to kiss you right now.”
***
Check out more of my reviews at Mostly YA Book Obsessed:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Little Secret.

02/11/2012 page 50