Libby Ames's Reviews > The Game of Sunken Places

The Game of Sunken Places by M.T. Anderson

Dec 08, 11

bookshelves: children-s-fiction, fantasy, for-my-boys
Read in December, 2011

I was surpised by some of the low reviews for this book, because I thought it was very well written. I think some of the problem is that M.T. Anderson is such a diverse author. The two other books I've read by him are nothing like this one, so if readers had expectations, they might have been disappointed.

Gregory and Brian travel to the back woods of Vermont to spend fall break with Gregory's distant relative. They stumble upon a strange board game in the mansion nursery and soon find themselves playing a much more dangerous game. They are fighting mysterious creatures and solving strange riddles without being sure of the point or the rules of the Game.

The Game of Sunken Places reads a little like Jumanji with Tolkien-like characters thrown in. It is a perfect read for fantasy lovers between the ages of 10-13. The adventure is fast and the mystery intriguing with just enough humor to lighten the intensity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Game of Sunken Places.